No Disconnect for AC, dwelling unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

In a dwelling unit, is there any excuse for not having a disconnect for the AC?

The Air handler is a vertical unit in a closet with the water heater. The water heater has no disconnect BUT it has a lockable breaker installed in the panel.

The Air handler has NO disconnect, NO lockable breaker, and the panel is NOT located within site however it is relatively close (about 30 feet down the hall in a room)

Thanks.

raider1

Staff member
A/C units are required to have a disconnecting means installed in accordance with Part II of Article 440. There are no exceptions.

Chris

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
In a dwelling unit, is there any excuse for not having a disconnect for the AC?

The Air handler is a vertical unit in a closet with the water heater. The water heater has no disconnect BUT it has a lockable breaker installed in the panel.

The Air handler has NO disconnect, NO lockable breaker, and the panel is NOT located within site however it is relatively close (about 30 feet down the hall in a room)

Thanks.

If the air handler is a 120 volt unit a single pole motor rated snap switch would be sufficent wouldn't it?

raider1

Staff member
If the air handler is a 120 volt unit a single pole motor rated snap switch would be sufficent wouldn't it?

Yep, it would be fine. I always wire gas furnaces with a standard SP switch.

Yep, a standard SP switch is adaquate for a disconnect in that circumstance.

For a long time in my area electricians were installing and inspectors were requiring SSU type switchs for furnace disconnects. But the additional fuse is not a code requirement.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.