Grounding Metal Hand Rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmtis

This Is a outside concrete tank with metal railling around the tank. There are motor starter saftey switches attached to metal strut and the strut is attached to the railling. The conduit feeding the enclouser has a ground conductor in the conduit and that ground is attached to the ground lug. Is the railling considered grounded under 250.136 (A) 2008 NEC

raider1

Staff member
A railing is not considered electrical equipment, but with that being said, I would say that the railing would be bonded by the fact that it is solidly connected to a grounded and bonded metal enclosure.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
I agree with Chris, the only items likely to energize the railing are items that are already required to be bonded/grounded.

lmtis

This Is a outside concrete tank with metal railling around the tank. There are motor starter saftey switches attached to metal strut and the strut is attached to the railling. The conduit feeding the enclouser has a ground conductor in the conduit and that ground is attached to the ground lug. Is the railling considered grounded under 250.136 (A) 2008 NEC
I have this installation on a project and the local inspector is requiring that the railling be grounded from the safety switch ground bar to a ground clamp attcahed to the railling with a #12 wire. There are 15 such locations on this tank.

raider1

Staff member
I have this installation on a project and the local inspector is requiring that the railling be grounded from the safety switch ground bar to a ground clamp attcahed to the railling with a #12 wire. There are 15 such locations on this tank.

Ask the inspector for the code section that requires the bonding of the railing.

Chris

erickench

NEC 250.4(A)(4) state's that all non-current-carrying electrically conductive materials that are likely to become energized must be connected together and to the electrical supply source in a manner that establishes an effective ground fault current path.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
NEC 250.4(A)(4) state's that all non-current-carrying electrically conductive materials that are likely to become energized must be connected together and to the electrical supply source in a manner that establishes an effective ground fault current path.
True. But for one, likely to become energized is always debatable for anything which is not intentionally energized. Second, it does not say the conductive parts must be grounded with an EGC... it only says that they be connected together.

Status
Not open for further replies.