Question on Clamp on Amp meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgeback125

I?m currently removing equipment in a Telco Central office. We use -48v power feeds with an integrated ground plane. My question is I need to lead verify the grounds to make sure that they where installed correctly so I don?t knock out service to a working system. I get .02mV with a VOM if I use a Clamp on amp meter will it do me any good to help verify the correct leads? The equipment to be removed has been fuse down so on the -48V leads I get 0V with my VOM. Please help I don?t want to get fired!!

G._S._Ohm

I get .02mV with a VOM if I use a Clamp on amp meter will it do me any good to help verify the correct leads?
>I don't understand this sentence.

The equipment to be removed has been fuse down so on the -48V leads I get 0V with my VOM.
>I don't understand this sentence.

I don?t want to get fired!!
>I do understand this sentence.

jonathn1

You wont get a better reading utilizing the clamp on meter. Altho it makes it easier when doing some tests it doesnt help if you have good meter at your disposal for voltage testing.
A buddy of mine used to use the fuse down term to mean that the system was down due to the removal of power. So if this is what you ae refering to then you can look for a neutral point on one if the power supplies and try and verify the neutral or ground wires thru this point. With out a print its really hard to diret you to a specific way to check. But usually the equipment will have some point marked on it where you can verify a lead. Power supplies or battery charges for the telcom equipment are good.
The .02 mv reading on a 48 volt system is like having 0volts. I would say it was a bogus reading or a capacitor internally still charged. If your looking for a 48 volt reading I would change the setting to read no more than .1 volts to really tell what you are getting. Even great meters if you hold both leads together on a resistance check will show youu have like .2 homs resistance. If you are looking for 1 or 2 homs then the .2 is alot. But if looking for 2000 ohms its not so important.
Hope this helps.
Jonathon

Status
Not open for further replies.