Residential circuit - UF in EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisrappl

I have a residential job where the owner has asked me to run a 240v-20a circuit from the main panel to the 3rd floor for a PTAC unit. The panel is outside and he wants to run EMT on the exterior of the house up to the attic and then continue the cable, through the studs unspliced to the receptacle box.

Can I run 12-2 UF in 1/2" EMT? I believe that 340.10 (3) allows me to, however I don't think that I can satisfy 340.24 (bending radius of 5X) if I use an LB to enter the building.

I would use rain tight compression fittings, mineralacs to keep the conduit off of the wall and UF cable since the inside of the conduit is a damp location. The UF cable would continue unspliced through drilled studs to a NEMA 6-20R which would provide the disconnection means for the PTAC unit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would have no problem with this, but I might opt for PVC. It's bigger, but it'll never rust.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Use an oversize LB. I'd probably do this in 3/4 emt with a 3/4" LB, I don't think you'd have to much trouble tucking the UF into that.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Use an oversize LB. I'd probably do this in 3/4 emt with a 3/4" LB, I don't think you'd have to much trouble tucking the UF into that.

Like Cow said go with 3/4". I used 1/2" PVC and had to take some of it apart to get it past some of the couplings. It is so stiff, the 3/4" will make life easier.:)

kwired

Electron manager
Why not run the EMT all the way to receptacle box and pull THWN? Probably will be easier than pulling the UF through there anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.