Whole Building Generator and "Emergency Lighting"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragin Cajun

Working on a town hall where the town wants the whole building to be on a generator, except for the chiller.

I plan on two transfer switches, one for all building lighting, the elevator (ADA escape), the fire alarm system, telephone and similar life safety loads with the second transfer switch for the rest of the building loads.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks,

RC

raider1

Staff member
Yes, I see a problem.

The emergency lighting is an Article 700 system, whereas an ADA elevator is a legally required standby system and can not be installed on an emergency system.

Now the legally required standby systems and optional standby systems can be supplied by the same transfer switch but the emergency loads must be supplied by a separate transfer switch and system.

I would recommend that you contact your local AHJ and see what systems they are designating as emergency and which systems are legally required standby.

Chris

dkidd

Occupation
PE
NFPA 110 lists elevators as equipment necessary for safety to human life.

The telephone would not normally count as life safety.

See the EC&M article Jun 1, 2006 12:00 PM, By Mike Holt, NEC Consultant

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
NFPA 110 lists elevators as equipment necessary for safety to human life.

That does not necessarily mean that it is designated as an emergency system. Legally required standby systems are also necessary for safety for human life.

The telephone would not normally count as life safety.

For a standard telephone system I agree. But there are fire command systems for high rise buildings that require legally required standby power.

Again I would recommend that you ask the AHJ what each system is designated as.

Chris

dkidd

Occupation
PE
700.1 2008
FPN

FPN No. 3: Emergency systems are generally installed in places of assembly where artificial illumination is
required for safe exiting and for panic control in buildings subject to occupancy by large numbers of persons,
such as hotels, theaters, sports arenas, health care facilities, and similar institutions. Emergency systems may
also provide power for such functions as ventilation where essential to maintain life, fire detection and alarm
systems, elevators, fire pumps, public safety communications systems, industrial processes where current
interruption would produce serious life safety or health hazards, and similar functions.

raider1

Staff member
Did you check out the Mike Holt column I referenced?

No, I did not.

In my area we do not use NFPA 101 the Life Safety Code but use the IBC instead. Chapter 27 of the IBC gives the designation of what systems are emergency and which systems are legally required standby systems.

2009 IBC Section 2702.2.5 Designates accessible means of egress elevators as legally required standby systems and they are not permitted to be installed on an emergency system as prohibited in 700.9(B).

Chris

raider1

Staff member
700.1 2008
FPN

FPN No. 3: Emergency systems are generally installed in places of assembly where artificial illumination is
required for safe exiting and for panic control in buildings subject to occupancy by large numbers of persons,
such as hotels, theaters, sports arenas, health care facilities, and similar institutions. Emergency systems may
also provide power for such functions as ventilation where essential to maintain life, fire detection and alarm
systems, elevators, fire pumps, public safety communications systems, industrial processes where current
interruption would produce serious life safety or health hazards, and similar functions.

FPN's are not enforceable as code (See 90.5(C)).

This Fine Print Note just states that emergency systems MAY include elevators.

The NEC does not tell us what systems are emergency systems but just how to wire the system when it is designated as an emergency system.

The building codes and the fire codes are what are usually used to determine when a system is designated as either emergency or legally required standby.

Chris

Ragin Cajun

Thanks.

After grinding through the SLOW web site, I couldn't find anything in EC&M relating to the subject.

I will check with the AHJ and see what they have to say.

Looks like it's 50/50 either way.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.