DC in metal conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is there a problem with samr polarity DC conductors routed through metal raceways ? I have an install with muliple runs of 4/0 from a DC rectifer.
All the + cables are routed in one metallic raceway, all the - cables in another.

G._S._Ohm

Is there a problem with samr polarity DC conductors routed through metal raceways ? I have an install with muliple runs of 4/0 from a DC rectifer.
All the + cables are routed in one metallic raceway, all the - cables in another.
Since the current flow is not smooth DC like from a battery, I think this is not so different from separating the hots and neutrals carrying AC in different raceways.

At present I can't prove or disprove this idea but I think the induction heating of the raceway will be similar.

The DC component of the rectified wave does not radiate like the AC component so it's like you have an non-sinusoidal AC waveform with a peak to peak value half that of its equivalent sine wave.

This is one I'll have to search on. :confused:

mivey

Since the current flow is not smooth DC like from a battery, I think this is not so different from separating the hots and neutrals carrying AC in different raceways.

At present I can't prove or disprove this idea but I think the induction heating of the raceway will be similar.
That is correct. We often use the term DC to mean a steady current but it can mean a waveform that is even sinusoidal in shape but just does not cross the zero axis. Think about the half or full-wave rectifier.

The filtering gets us closer to steady but can have significant ripple for some loads. Anyway, after adequate filtering the heating will be a lot less but still won't be the same as a light on a battery.

dbuckley

If the rectifier is being fed from a single phase source, then the current in the DC cables will be like AC but in one direction, so you can still get heating effects.

The issue is much less pronounced when the source is three phase, and if you've got 12 pulse rectification it'll be an even smaller effect.

G._S._Ohm

The ill effects of induction heating may take years or decades to show up. I guess the main effect is degradation of insulation.

Electric-Light

The magnetic field won't cancel each other out, so it will have the same problem as an AC wiring without both path going together. I had a three way switch with just one wire behind the wall. Whenever that light was on, I would see waving effect on my CRT monitor and we're talking about 3A here.

If you have hundreds of amps, it can create problems with equipment sensitive to magnetic field. if it's steady, it will just be a long piece of magnet, but ripple current will cause nearby wires to act like a transformer and induce noise or data error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.