using general lighting circuit for outdoor plug & light

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't looked this one up yet. I am planning my search in a minute. I haven't seen where it is not authorized to use a general lighting circuit 15amp for an outdoor plug and light. I do more new construction and we of course don't have to worry about this sort of thing. This is on a remodel job. It would be difficult to get back to the panel box or to tap off an existing outdoor circuit. Can you just stub out the general lighting circuit outdoor and put a gfi plug on the thing? That is the way I want to bid it. thanks

code book search

code book search

I didn't find anything. The general lighting circuit is not connected to a bathroom, laundry, dining area, or kitchen circuit. It is a 15amp circuit that was originally ran in the house for a small finished storage room.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is fine to do what you are wanting to do.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm sure i'm going about this the wrong way -- and probably showing my stupiditty
but i will take all of that and promise to learn the proper way

BUT PLEASE CAN SOME DEFINE ELECTRICALLY HELD VS MECHANICALLY HELD CONTACTORS AND WHY A MECHANICALLY HELD CONTACTOR WOULD NEED ANY
WIRES TO CONTROL IT

thanx

You should start a new thread with this question.

Roger

nizak

My guess would be that's how most would get power to an outside light and recep. As far as for myself, if a HO does not request a dedicated circ for whatever(christmas lights,etc.)I just come off the closest source of power(provided it's not a bath or kitchen circ).In 15+ years I've never had anyone complain about it.

stew

very common install. put your gfci on the inside outlet and you wont have to use the spendy wp gfgi either. do it all the time. Remember the in use cover for your outside receptacle.

jumper

My guess would be that's how most would get power to an outside light and recep. As far as for myself, if a HO does not request a dedicated circ for whatever(christmas lights,etc.)I just come off the closest source of power(provided it's not a bath or kitchen circ).In 15+ years I've never had anyone complain about it.

I can think of two others off the top of my head, laundry and central heat.

jumper

very common install. put your gfci on the inside outlet and you wont have to use the spendy wp gfgi either. do it all the time. Remember the in use cover for your outside receptacle.

I am not a fan of inside GFCIs feeding outside recs. I prefer that GFCI protected receptacles be clearly defined to a particular area. Just me I suppose.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I understand, but when an outside rec is fed from an inside GFCI and that has a bookcase parked in front of it and the GFCI is not in a room that is not adjacent, it can be a pain.

....or under the workbench in a basement garage shop, luckily I found this one by tracing the wire back towards the panel. Thank goodness it was a T-grid ceiling down there!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I wanted power out in my yard for xmas lights. It comes off the outlet in my bedroom.

Its a 4 banger.

My ex put some many lights on it that it tripped the CB inside one night.

Status
Not open for further replies.