Electronic Low Voltage Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was looking at the instructions for a WAC Lighting electronic low voltage transformer and the following statement got my attention. Doesn't heaver gauge wire have less resistance? I'm confused.

Note: Heavy gauge wires introduce more electrical resistance to the line, which acts as an additional load to the transformer. If using 14 or 12 gauge wire do not use the maximum 60 watt load.

rattus

It happens!

It happens!

Sounds like the tech writer didn't understand that thicker wires carry smaller gauge numbers.

broadgage

Agree, likely mis translation, or someone who does not understand basic physics !
I have met people who think that thick wires take "more electricity to fill them up" and are therefore wastfull.

The output from an electronic transformer is normally at a very high frequency, such that inductive and capacitive effects are significant.
This severely limits wire length, and increasing the wire size does not allow a greater length, quite unlike line frequency.
This limits wire length to perhaps 2 feet, no matter how thick the wire, but I doubt that the permissable length would be shorter for #12 than for #16.
Longer wires on the output from an electronic transformer also radiate more RF interference than short wires, perhaps in excess of that permitted. But again I doubt that #12 would be worse than #16.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Note: Heavy gauge wires introduce more electrical resistance to the line, which acts as an additional load to the transformer. If using 14 or 12 gauge wire do not use the maximum 60 watt load.

Yes, be sure you only use 59.9 watts!!!

IMO, this is a pretty bad statement. Even if they are right about heavier wire causing a larger load (doubtful), how much less do you have to use? Is it the same for 14 and 12? What if we used #10?? And don't we also have to use less for #16 as opposed to #18?

They should be more specific.

G._S._Ohm

This is translated from some other language. Translations are hard anyway, and tech stuff gets really mangled.
Time to call the 1-800 number. Good luck.

BTW, these types of transformers may shut down with no load, which makes troubleshooting really confusing. That, coupled with high current makes them very sensitive to bad connections.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.