Disconnect for Transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 480v primary & 220v secondary transformer that is mounted above a 220v panel that it is feeding. My question is does the transformer need to have a disconnect?
Just seams strange not being able to shut it down at that location!

iwire

Staff member
I have a 480v primary & 220v secondary transformer that is mounted above a 220v panel that it is feeding. My question is does the transformer need to have a disconnect?
Just seams strange not being able to shut it down at that location!

2008 and older NEC no, not required

2011 NEC ........ maybe .... or label the transformer with the location of the source and make sure the supply source is lockable.

raider1

Staff member
Under the 2008 NEC no local disconnect is required for a transformer. Overcurrent protection of the primary conductors is required but that is not required to be located within sight of the transformer.

Under the 2011 NEC a local disconnect or a lable on the transformer and a lockable breaker is required.

(See 450.14 in the 2011 NEC)

Chris

(Or what Bob said.:))

raider1

Staff member
So it being fead from a 480v panel 300ft away, all I have to do is put a breaker lock on the Transformer ckt?

To comply with the 2011 NEC requirements in 450.14 all you need to do is have a lockable breaker for the transformer circuit and a label on the transformer denoting the location of the transformer breaker.

Is Idaho on the 2011 NEC? I thought that Idaho was going to adopt the 2011 NEC on July 1st 2012.

Chris

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am not sure, but I will be done with this job in June so I guess it will grandfathered in lol!
It's almost always is based on the code cycle that is being used by the locality or state at the time of the permit application.

There is usually a flood of permit applications just before new code cycles are adopted, which usually increase building costs.

Why they don't know whats coming I don't then again I haven't tried looking! Do you guys know of any changes or do we have to wait until the day we get the new 2011 code book?

raider1

Staff member
Why they don't know whats coming I don't then again I haven't tried looking! Do you guys know of any changes or do we have to wait until the day we get the new 2011 code book?

The 2011 NEC has been out since September and there are lots of analysis books available as well. Mike Holt's changes book is alway one of the best.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.