Old sub panel as Junction Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am selling one of my rental houses and need to resolve an issue the appraiser brought to the FHA lender's attention. It is that in the garage there is an old sub panel that is being used as a junction box. They don't like it, how do I fix this to code? My thinking is put 2 screws one on top and bottom of the hinged door and secure it shut, this would not allow such ease of access. Of course my suggestion is the cheapest and with the way the housing market is now I am not making much on this sale.

Subpnl.jpg

I thought so...

I thought so...

It has been a while since I have been in the NEC book, mainly because I no longer have access to it, but could you give me some chapter and verse that I can reference for this newbie appraisor?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
And don't use self tapping screws to seal the cover:)
Something like a pop rivet or machine screw with nut.

Around here, the concern is the absense of a "dead front". Any one standing at the panel is to be prevented from being able to touch energized conductors (as opposed to "energized surfaces") unless one resorts to the use of tools to gain access.

A blind spot in this "safety" regulation is the General Duty Fused Safety Switch. I've actually had some HIs try to demand a "dead front" for them.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Perhaps the appraiser should site the violation!! Just a thought.
The opening post mentions FHA. They have their own body of regulation.

Also, in my working area, a lot of these "dead front" calls originate from local ordinance.

Resolution can involve the politics of two different types of AHJ (NEC AHJ and the other one) in relationship to each other, as to who's stance is final.

Status
Not open for further replies.