How to downgrade Class 1 control wire to Class 2 or 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobSteele

I have an issue where I need to downgrade Class 1 control wire to Class 2 or 3 before a distribution block.

The transformer panel has a 350VA transformer 120:24VAC. The hot leg goes to a 6A fuse then both legs go to a controller panel. In this panel, the hot leg goes to a fused terminal block of varying fuse sizes (0.5-2A). From the 2A fuse the 24VAC then goes out to multiple command discreet outputs.

As I read the NEC, I believe the wire is still rated as Class 1 out to the commanded devices. This really limits my conduit choices. What component can I add to the circuit in the transformer panel to downgrade it to a Class 2 wire?

Thanks for your help!

BobSteele

Not enough info from me...

Not enough info from me...

Installation of all the described parts is complete.
I understand that Class 2 transformers can't exceed 100VA. I'd be glad to be proven wrong but would need some supporting code.

hurk27

725.121(A) exception 2 gives you some options as to how to limit the available energy to reduce the class to a class 2 or 3 pay attention to (2) in the FPN as the FPN gives some examples on how to do this.

Also see chapter 9 table 11(A) for AC, and table 11(B) for DC, pay attention to note (1)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.