Project management software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahilliard

I'm looking for inexpensive, very simple project management software. Basically to schedule service and remodel jobs, with a way to keep a daily log and track expenses and labor for small 1 day to a few weeks worth of work. would love to be able to list contacts and possibly photos for individual jobs. I guess a way to track service work with a description of tasks, etc and receipts and hours. Any suggestions??

nerubian90

Basecamp, Zoho Projects, Freshbooks, Desktop Central, Deskaway and Smartsheets are the most popular (base on Alexa rankings) project management software that are being used nowadays. They all got time tracking feature, file/document sharing, create tasks/projects and assigning them to your team member, gantt charts, milestones, etc. These are the basic features a simple project management software should have and those that I have mentioned do have these features. In fact they even have other good features.

denisanderson07

project management software

project management software

Suggest Microsoft Project. It is user-friendly and comes with some great features. It helps in automatic scheduling, and can pretty much do all the things you're looking to accomplish. Although, it is definitely worth investing in it, since your project needs seem short term, recommend you try this project management software. Currently, there's a free 60-day trial promo going on. Hope this helps :)

bulls100

There are a number of project management software alternatives which are discussed in this blog: http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/02/02/43-project-management-software-alternatives

I just thought of sharing this one, hopefully in might help you. You can check the comparison table so you'll see what features the software can offer. The table might be able to help you choose the best software for you considering your preference of features and prices.

I've tried basecamphq on a user mode so I cannot really point out the best features of it. They say it's the best project management software today.

Lucas31

You might want to try Latitude. It's a highly customizable project management software package that manages jobs and projects. You can schedule jobs as to their estimate or actual start and end. It has CRM features to track your clients and their info. It keeps daily log as who logins/logouts, who adds/edits/deletes something, etc. It can track employee timesheets, assign tasks, and create invoices to jobs and timesheets.

Though this is not free, you really get what you pay for.

Lucas31

You might want to try Latitude. It's a highly customizable project management software package that manages jobs and projects. You can schedule jobs as to their estimate or actual start and end. It has CRM features to track your clients and their info. It keeps daily log as who logins/logouts, who adds/edits/deletes something, etc. It can track employee timesheets, assign tasks, and create invoices to jobs and timesheets.

Though this is not free, you really get what you pay for.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Time Hog

Time Hog

I don't have much to offer in the way of product suggestions, but I've used MS Project before. The upside of PM software is that creating projects helps focus you on the various tasks needed to get the overall job done. As you build the job in your head, you can see where the various elements affect each other. If "slab cure" has to be 28 days, you know when the pour has to happen in order for the switch gear to get dropped by June 15th. On the other hand, if you put 300 tasks in your project, you have to track them. All of them, or else the downstream utility of the software is lost (project post mortem, lessons learned, true costs). You can easily find yourself spending half a day or more just keeping track of all your tasks. If you have 5 or 6 jobs going, you may find yourself with a full time scheduler on the payroll. If you don't want to boost your overhead to that extent and your jobs are small enough and similar enough, maybe creating detailed job check lists and making it the foreman's responsibility is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.