Aluminum Repairs or pigtailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxla10

I would like some feedback concerning ALCU repairs via pigtailing Cu conductors to existing Al wiring to feed lighting and receptacle loads/devices. In reading a Consumer Product Safety Commisson report they state the only acceptable permant means of pigtailing is using the Tyco method of coldwelding crimp method or mechinal set screw. The Ideal Al/CU wire nuts are considered only a temporary repair. Please let me know what you think.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Personally, I don't know the long term effects but I have used the standard buchanan wire nuts for copper to alum. They used to be listed for it and for some reason they lost that listing. I have never been back on an aluminum job that had copper pigtails with reg. wirenuts. I would think the wirenuts rated for copper to alumin. will work fine.

There are some who say copalum is the only way to do it.

bphgravity

Citizens Property Insurance Co. has approved two acceptable alternative methods for ensuring aluminum branch wiring is not a fire hazard and is insurable.

-- AlumiConn: An aluminum-to-copper plug that's connected to existing aluminum wiring at each receptacle, making aluminum wiring run cooler with a safer connection, according to King Innovation, manufacturer of the connector.

-- Copalum: This connector is considered an acceptable repair method by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commisison. Copalum permanently connects old technology aluminum wire to a short length of copper wire. The copper wire is then terminated to outlets, fixtures and appliances.

Citizens is still researching the potential for CO/ALR connectors to be considered as a third insurable alternative method:

-- CO/ALR: The name means copper-aluminum revised. The device has screw terminals designed to grip the wire tightly and act as a similar metal to aluminium. It helps eliminate the likelihood of electrical arcing that can cause a fire.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've never had problems with the Ideal cu/al wirenuts if the wiring was in OK shape.

renosteinke

There are T&B "marettes' that are CSA approved for joining copper to aluminum.

King Products has their mini-terminal blocks that are designed specifically for this issue.

There are NO aluminum-rated GFCI's.

If you're working on a mobile home, you'll need box extensions to fit it all in.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
There are T&B "marettes' that are CSA approved for joining copper to aluminum.

King Products has their mini-terminal blocks that are designed specifically for this issue.

There are NO aluminum-rated GFCI's.

If you're working on a mobile home, you'll need box extensions to fit it all in.

I find the blue cut in box with side pocket a good box for mobile homes. Shallow enough to get in, side pocket holds wire & joints.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I would like some feedback concerning ALCU repairs via pigtailing Cu conductors to existing Al wiring to feed lighting and receptacle loads/devices. In reading a Consumer Product Safety Commisson report they state the only acceptable permant means of pigtailing is using the Tyco method of coldwelding crimp method or mechinal set screw. The Ideal Al/CU wire nuts are considered only a temporary repair. Please let me know what you think.

the tyco method is the only thing that is feasible. the purple setscrew connectors
will not fit in a box, as they only land 3 wires each, and you end up using multiples.

i did a house about a year ago, pigtailing in stranded copper, using the wonderful
$2 each purple wirenuts. did the wiring with my own hands, knew how each
box was done.

6 months later, i got a call about a funny burning smell, and drove over there
at 11 pm. one of the plug boxes had a melted purple wirenut.

the reason those wirenuts are $2 each, is 'cause in every box, there is a little
tiny lawyer folded up, that can be inflated when you get sued.

in my not so humble opinion, they are no better than red wirenuts with noalox
in them... i know they are supposed to be designed to allow for the higher
expansion rate of aluminum wire, but that isn't how it seems to work in the
real world.

that's my .02 worth... if you paypal me a dollar, i'll credit your account the .98.
;-)

randy

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This thread has had some good info. Bryan and Randy, I appreciate that info specifically. Even though the insurance companies are not the NEC it is good to know what they are looking for us to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.