Extension Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteHJ

A milk cooler coming from the factory with an 8' flexible cord with plug is being provided in a school kitchen. The school wants to place it such that the cord will not reach a receptacle (the circuit has capacity). The question was posed if an extension cord could be used. I don't believe so, but would like to find out for sure. I could not find anything in the NEC allowing such.

Thanks,
PeteHJ

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
and
(7) Where subject to physical damage

ceb58

Two choices. Extend the circ. and install a recpt. that the cord can reach or move the cooler. Cut and dry that is their choices.

hurk27

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
and
(7) Where subject to physical damage

Add 110.3 as in the UL listing and labeling it states "for temporary use only"

inspector 102

I beleive an extension cord is listed as having a male and female end. Could you hard wire one end into the existing wall box and extend a female "whip" the distance you need for the connection? Lets see what kind of arguements this comment makes. I have had this arguement many times with contractors on what an extension cord is.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I beleive an extension cord is listed as having a male and female end. Could you hard wire one end into the existing wall box and extend a female "whip" the distance you need for the connection? Lets see what kind of arguements this comment makes. I have had this arguement many times with contractors on what an extension cord is.

You will find lots of objections to that.

Lets start with: It's still an extension cord. But now you have violated the UL listing by cutting an end off.

On top of that, you have eliminated any doubt whatsoever about it being a temporary install. With the cord hardwired, you have made it quite obvious that yor are using an extension cord as a substitute for permenant power.

As an inspector, you aren't really recommending this, or you? I assume you only mentioned it for the sake of discussion?? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are suggesting?

Steve

mivey

Where is this "whip" permitted for flexible cord? Flexible cord is not a generally permitted wiring method.

There are some specific places mentioned in the code where flexible cord is allowed to extend a branch circuit (like pendants). Other than the exceptions given in the code, it is not allowed to take the place of the permitted wiring methods.

How is the use you propose fit into those exceptions? I hope this is a question for discussion sake, not a use you condone.

inspector 102

I was not suggesting to cut the factory cord, but make a "whip" to plug the cord into. This arguement has been made numerous times and I have not accepted it yet for the reasons that have been stated. I understand the electricians side of convenience, but that has never been my problem. The owner normal frowns at the additional cost to relocate the circuit, but a well thought out plan before starting would solve those problems. It is an interseting arguement though.

mivey

PeteHJ,

In addition to some of the other posts, here is some info to help back you up.

From the 2001 ROP
2-151-(210-50): Reject
SUBMITTER: Edward J. Fox, Jr., Orange County Bldg Div., FL

RECOMMENDATION: 210-50: There shall be a minimum of two (2) duplex receptacles in each office, and classroom. They shall be separated by a reasonable distance to provide access from different areas of the room.

SUBSTANTIATION: By providing receptacles that would normally not be installed for offices, and classrooms, the citizens would not have to use extension cords, nor would they have to hire an electrician to come in and add receptacles after they have taken occupancy.

All offices have many electrical appliances and it would be safer if these had receptacles to plug into instead of extension cords. By providing a better electrical system up front, the citizens are not impacted by additional cost later due to adding more receptacles and circuits to handle an ever-increasing demand.

PANEL ACTION: Reject.

PANEL STATEMENT: The submitter's proposed revision does not resolve the situation presented in the substantiation. The present code rule in 210-50(b) requires a receptacle where cord and plug connections are used. Adding a rule to provide two receptacles would not keep (or in some cases even minimize) the user from violating the Code and using an extension cord, since the final usage of the particular space is not known. For non-dwelling unit applications, proper planning and design must be used to provide adequate access to receptacle outlets. If the receptacles are not provided, then it would be necessary to have receptacles installed by a qualified person.

Also from the NFPA's Q&A book:
Extension cords, or "cord sets", as they are usually called in the NEC and listing standards, are intended primarily for temporary use to extend the cord of an appliance or tool to a branch circuit receptacle outlet. They are not permitted to take the place of permanent wiring of a structure and are not permitted as an extension of the branch circuit.
Extension cords that are left in place for long periods are usually in violation of the NEC

G._S._Ohm

From the CPSC
"Extension cords cause an estimated 4,000 injuries, 50 deaths, and 3,300 residential fires each year. Extension cords should never be used on a permanent basis, as they are intended for temporary use as-needed."

FWIW, and with all due respect, I think this is an example of the "Prosecutor's Fallacy", and this fallacy is very likely how the defense attorney for an ex-football-player helped his client beat the rap.

The relevant question is: of the hundreds of thousands of extension cords in daily use in the US, what is the likelihood of X fires per year due to the use of these cords?
And I don't see how the CPSC can not know about this fallacy.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Stealing Curlys line:roll:

I'm going to tell Moe:cool:
Go ahead. I'll call my lawyers:

dewey%2Bcheatem%2Band%2Bhowe.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.