Apprentice for 25 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been in the Electrical Industry since 1982.
I have worked for the Stanley Works installing and servicing Automatic Pedestrian Doors and Payed Union dues to the IBEW during that 10 year period.
I worked for the Target Corporation as a Maintenance Mechanic supporting a 1.7M sq/ft Distribution Center for 5 years.
After working for the Siemens Corporation traveling the country installing Automated Conveyors and Sortation Equipment Leading the Electrical Installers and Commisioning Industrial PLC Controller Equipment I have been working as a Contract Employee doing Building Start-ups.

After 25 years in the business I have decieded to obtain my Journeymans Card. I never made time to take the test nor did I need to because I worked in Industrial settings under a Master Electrician.

According to Michigan I must now take 4 years of apprentiship classes and log 8000 hrs. to get in the door to take the test.

Is there another State that has a Journeymans Test that I can move to that I can use my 25 years of experience towards my time served?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have been in the Electrical Industry since 1982.
I have worked for the Stanley Works installing and servicing Automatic Pedestrian Doors and Payed Union dues to the IBEW during that 10 year period.
I worked for the Target Corporation as a Maintenance Mechanic supporting a 1.7M sq/ft Distribution Center for 5 years.
After working for the Siemens Corporation traveling the country installing Automated Conveyors and Sortation Equipment Leading the Electrical Installers and Commisioning Industrial PLC Controller Equipment I have been working as a Contract Employee doing Building Start-ups.

After 25 years in the business I have decieded to obtain my Journeymans Card. I never made time to take the test nor did I need to because I worked in Industrial settings under a Master Electrician.

According to Michigan I must now take 4 years of apprentiship classes and log 8000 hrs. to get in the door to take the test.

Is there another State that has a Journeymans Test that I can move to that I can use my 25 years of experience towards my time served?

If you have worked hours that can be documented, they will apply toward your 8000 hours. When I was in the NJATC your pay was based upon your hours, not the year of class you were in. For instance, if you can document all your 8000 hours you would still have to start in the first year class but would get 90 percent of JIW wages. You would still need the 800 hours of class in order to sit for the exam. All that is if they will take you. Right now they are not accepting many new apprentices.

If you decide not to go through the IBEW, documentable hours are still counted, 800 class hours are still needed, but your wage is negotiable rather than specific.

Taking a test in another state will do you no good if you want to work in Michigan. Michigan recognizes only their license, none from other states.

renosteinke

Before I post, I want to let you know that your situation is far from unique, and - not to put too fine an edge on things - you simply don't know what you have not seen. But, not to worry .... there's is something of an 'escape hatch.'

I see nothing in your summary that addresses the subject matter of 3/4 of the trade. Nothing residential, no services, no remodels, no transformer installs, no generator installs, etc. This is a CONSTRUCTION trade. You have no idea how buildings are built, let alone how they used to be built. You haven't dug a ditch, operated a lift, or banged in a ground rod. You haven't pulled permits. You have no idea how a jobsite is organized.

Oh, I'm certain you can learn these things. That's what an apprenticeship is all about.

Apprenticeships are funny things. About halfway through, the guys all think they're 'practically electricians' and just have to put in their time. On graduation day, though, they are beginning to realize that graduation is when the learning is really just starting.

Now, here's the 'escape hatch.' Apprenticeship programs are regulated by the US Dept. of Labor, and get accreditation through your local community college. As a result, you can usually 'test out' of the first two years -this will vary by program- and you get to take the courses on your own expense even if you're not officially in the apprenticeship program.

Far more important than the classes, or taking tests, is that you have the necessary time working for an electrical contractor. It's quite possible for one to complete all the coursework, and still have to work years before they can take 'the test.'

Indeed, since different jurisdictions have different rules, I trained under a guy who got his "contractor" license before he got a 'journeyman' card. Seems his 23 years in the Navy as an electricians' mate didn't meet the apprenticeship requirements either.

These days I'm in an industrial setting, and I often hear the guys griping about 'how little' the contractors' electricians know. Every one of them feels constrained because 'it's just a test.' Wrong on both counts. The two are different trades- and it's the experience that counts. The test is just a formality.

At the end of the chain, you will have a license to show for your efforts- and that goes with you from job to job. Too bad you've been working places that didn't let you leave with more than your hat in your hand.

marti smith

Good for you!

If you have taken any classes that are documented, depending on how far back, they may be included. I would start with your construction industry division of your state, or wherever you plan to go. Obtain affidavits of your work hours, and good luck!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Licensing is as much about restricting the number of people in the trade as it is about anything. That goes for most licensing arrangements, not just electricians.

There are some legitimate concerns about the experience you have though. My guess is that it is pretty focused. You may be far better at what you did than any typical master electrician with 30 years of experience, but he probably has skills you may not even know exist, as another poster alluded to.

I guess a lot depends on just what you want to do.

At your age it is going to be tough to start at the bottom and work your way up, if you can even find a place that will let you do that these days.

muskrat

Can you get the master ele. you worked under to document 8000 hrs OJT?
Think that's all MI requires to take the Journeymans test but be ready to study
.....(blatant plug for Mike Holt study guides)....as the test is +/-3 open book(NEC)
which covers alot and 25 yrs in one field don't mean you know it all at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.