Generator Transfer Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

finster1

Looking for a little advice, new to generator transfer switch wiring.........I have a Kohler 20res with a 100a transfer switch with 16 circuits,I have wired everything but was wondering if anyone knows, instead of swinging all the circuits into the new transfer switch to the panel board, can I just run a conduit from panel to panel and just tie in the the hots to the breaker? It just seems to be a much neater job.I would wire nut all the hots in the main panel and bring them over to the Kohler panel/transfer switch. Will the inspector accept this? I haven't broken the neutral or the ground from panel to panel just carried them over and the only thing the contactor breaks are the two lines. This is a residential application and have seen other jobs where this is what the EC did, but never knew if it was ok. What do you guys think?

Electrical Contractor NJ

ceb58

[
QUOTE=finster1;1296170]Looking for a little advice, new to generator transfer switch wiring.........I have a Kohler 20res with a 100a transfer switch with 16 circuits,I have wired everything but was wondering if anyone knows, instead of swinging all the circuits into the new transfer switch to the panel board, can I just run a conduit from panel to panel and just tie in the the hots to the breaker? It just seems to be a much neater job.I would wire nut all the hots in the main panel and bring them over to the Kohler panel/transfer switch. Will the inspector accept this? I haven't broken the neutral or the ground from panel to panel just carried them over and the only thing the contactor breaks are the two lines. This is a residential application and have seen other jobs where this is what the EC did, but never knew if it was ok. What do you guys think?

IMHO this would be a violation of 300.3 (B) 2008 and depending on the type conduit it could be 300.20 (A) also. And now if those circuits were required to be AFCI protected there would be no way around it. Along with what dose the Mfg. instructions call for?

finster1

Generator

Generator

Good point but I just want to swing the existing circuits into the transfer.Any new could still be wired to the the neutral and ground with in the transfer panel. Kohler was not kind enough to provide many KO's in the box in the box so Iwas just looking to keep the job as neat looking as possible.

ceb58

Good point but I just want to swing the existing circuits into the transfer.Any new could still be wired to the the neutral and ground with in the transfer panel. Kohler was not kind enough to provide many KO's in the box in the box so Iwas just looking to keep the job as neat looking as possible.

That's all fine,well and good. But you will still have a violation of 300.3 (B)

Status
Not open for further replies.