16 Service conductors ,3 conduits

Status
Not open for further replies.

I seen a service get turned down by inspector today because a contractor used 3 existing conduits to run 4 sets of 4 parallel conductors .he doubled up on one phase in each conduit and doubled up one phase and neutral on one conduit so all pipes had 5 conductors and one had 6 with the extra neutral.inspector said it was a code violation of 310.4 (B). i looked and everything was right in the pipe concerning 310.4 (B).all conductors are grouped together to prevent induction heating also.i dont see what the problem is .its not the normal thing you see but i dont think its bad .the inspector said if he could prove him wrong he would green tag the service.i know you are going to ask why didnt he run another conduit and i will say you would have to see the job to understand why he could not ,but its not the point the point is 16 in 3.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
i know you are going to ask why didnt he run another conduit and i will say you would have to see the job to understand why he could not ,but its not the point the point is 16 in 3.

So I guess when the going gets tough, codes should be more of a guideline than a rule?

The installation is wrong, it's need to be fixed. If all the wires aren't the same in all the conduits then all the discussion in the world on here isn't going to convince the inspector it's okay.

I read something once that said "the difference between a professional and everyone else, is that the professional does it right even when he doesn't want too."

Seems appropriate...

So I guess when the going gets tough, codes should be more of a guideline than a rule?

The installation is wrong, it's need to be fixed. If all the wires aren't the same in all the conduits then all the discussion in the world on here isn't going to convince the inspector it's okay.

I read something once that said "the difference between a professional and everyone else, is that the professional does it right even when he doesn't want too."

Seems appropriate...
your 100% right just trying to pick minds the wire is coming out tomarrow.so is jack hammers and mad helpers

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What size service and what size conduits? Have you done the calculations to see if you can make a code compliant installation using the 3 conduits?

Status
Not open for further replies.