T/R receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaspoon

Have you had many complaints about difficulty plugging into new T/R receptacles?
I had one customer call the other day,asking about taking out T/R and replaceing with standard receptacles.
We wired this house about a year ago. I explained that I could not legally replace the T/R,receptacles with non T/R receptacles.
This customer understood,but was not happy.I am sure he will probably get some ,
handyman or unliscensed person to make this change.

bphgravity

As an inspector, I occasionally have trouble plugging my tester into TR receptacles. It is annoying and inconvenient.

That being said, you made the correct decision to NOT replace the compliant devices with non-compliant devices. It is unfortunate that someone else will likely perform that work for the homeowner, but there is nothing anyone can do about that.

bphgravity

I believe the CMP and CPSC investigated the plug insertion force for TR receptacles due to the concern of elderly and disabled users. I also believe this is a component of the product listing. Check out the ROP/ROC data.

I guess this is a case were the potential life safety benefits of a product outweighed the certain decrease in "user-friendliness" of the product.

sgunsel

Some new non-tamper resistant plugs can be pretty tight the first several usages. Fortunately they loosen up after a bit.

jeremysterling

Yeah, I demo'd one the other day. Customer complained it was a "dummy plug" and needed power.

It was TR simplex 5-20R. For a crisper fridge in a commercial kitchen. The recept was located behind the fryer on the cook line. Even with a thick coating of grease, it was difficult to plug the cord into.:roll:

GUNNING

instructions

instructions

I find if you insert while wiggling the plug side to side gets the prongs in easier. The non TR receptacles it was up and down. Its technique, not force and yes something else to break. People just need to be retrained in how to plug in stuff.

Retraining America one customer at a time. 40 years ago it would be on TV as a public service announcement.

As for replacing the outlets, get a hold harmless agreement. Instead of replacing the broken receptacles with manufactured defects one at a time you get to redo them all at once.

Side to side not up and down.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've had a few that were very tight, but most have been OK.

Speaking of restaurant outlets, I've long thought we need some kind of grease/dust resistant receptacles & plugs. I used to replace receps every month or 2 in some kitchens. Grease & trash get in & wreak havoc. Seen lots of broken covers too. I have urged several managers to put spacers behind kitchen eqpmt to keep it from hitting wall & damaging recepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.