Electrical Software Priced For Individuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

That Man

I'm looking for software to model industrial electrical circuits. E-Tap is the premiere solution as far as I can tell, but is priced well beyond the reach of anyone who is buying just for themselves. SPICE is free, but I can't seem to get it to do what I want. Is there some software available that is capabale of performing circuit behavior modeling that is priced low enough to be practical for an individual to buy?

Example circuits I keep getting into trouble with and need to model are usually unballanced 3 phase series-parallel loads, so it would be great if the software could perform symmetrical components calcs. Alternitavely, if someone knows how to do this in SPICE and has a worksheet they can send, that would also be great.

That Man

Please don't be obnoxious. Can you afford $20,000 for Etap? I can't find something that works that I can afford, so I'm wondering if someone else knows of some software that performs electrical calculations for complex circuits. Thanks bob. Actually, I'm evaluating dolphins Volt software right now :)

tkb

I am not trying to be obnoxious, but there are people that post here all the time looking for free or cheap software.

BJ Conner

Easy Power

Easy Power

Easy power is good but not cheap. It's about half of Etap. You gotta be makeing it work for you. It's too much for just a toy.

That Man

SPICE Circuit

SPICE Circuit

I'll post the SPICE circuit I'm working on tomorrow, along with the real world circuit I'm modeling for comparrison.

That Man

Just an update, I'm still working on the SPICE circuit. I'll be posting some specific SPICE modeling quesitons in thier own threads as appropriate.

Rob_Z

I am withyou. SPICE is a very powerful simulation tool. For example I have developed acomplete software defined radio using SPICE. This is not possible using"electrical design" software. The design included Chebyshevelliptical band pass and low pass filters, sample and hold switchingdemodulation plus a wealth of Fourier analysis. The best is that LTC spice isFREE; see http://www.linear.com. Eventhe resisters include temperature as part of its basic SPICE model. IMHO and alittle IQ, SPICE simulation should provide far more engineering detail thancurrently possible with expensive "electrical" design software.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The package with which I am most familiar is SKM PowerTools. It is more expensive than "free," and less expensive than either ETAP or EasyPower.

Status
Not open for further replies.