4" square Box Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I was installing some 4"x1-1/2" square boxes with 2 duplex receptacles with raised cover, cover mounted receps. I was using 3/4" PVC conduit running into the side of box. When I add the protective bushing onto the box connector the recep hits the bushing. You can remove the bushing and it just clears it. I have installed these before but with the conduit entering the top of the box and didn't have any problem. Other than use a deeper box, does anyone have a solution to this?:confused:

Howard Burger

bushing or locknut?

bushing or locknut?

By 'bushing' do you mean one of those plastic blue or grey bushings to protect the wire from the conduit or just the locknut for the pvc connector?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Generally you don't need bushings if your wire is smaller than #4. You can also use a pvc coupling with a slip fitting. A slip fitting is basically a chase nipple with no threads that slides into the coupling. 300.4(G)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Generally you don't need bushings if your wire is smaller than #4. You can also use a pvc coupling with a slip fitting. A slip fitting is basically a chase nipple with no threads that slides into the coupling. 300.4(G)

Thanks Dennis, for some reason I haven't noticed 300.4(G) before. I have also just taken the word of another electrician who said the inspectors have called him on not using the bushings. I ask about PVC fittings being usually smooth anyway, but he said the inspector said it didn't matter, use them anyway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I try and use these whenever possible. Just use a coupling at the end of the run. No connector needed and there is more room in the box.
10623MP-0.jpg

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I try and use these whenever possible. Just use a coupling at the end of the run. No connector needed and there is more room in the box.
10623MP-0.jpg

Box adaptors, first I've seen in brown. All I've used were same color as PVC. I like these too & use them wherever I can. Great for minimum protrusion.

I'd love it too, if each size of PVC would fit into the next larger size. Couplings could easily be made in a pinch, oversize LB's could easily be used for large stiff wire, etc. Supply houses around here don't sell PVC size adaptors. The big box stores have a few sizes sometimes.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
352.46 Bushings. Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to
protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or enclosure design provides equivalent protection.

I believe 352.46 and 344.46 apply to all conductors? And if any conduit has #4 and larger, regardless of the conduit or the connector it has to have a bushing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
352.46 Bushings. Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to
protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or enclosure design provides equivalent protection.

I believe 352.46 and 344.46 apply to all conductors? And if any conduit has #4 and larger, regardless of the conduit or the connector it has to have a bushing.

That's the real question. The PVC conduit terminates in a fitting. Does that fitting provide the equivalent protection of a bushing?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It is interesting that 352.46 states what it says and then has an informational note back to 300.4(G) for conductors 4awg and larger.

Why the informational note? Doesn't seem necessary if the intent was for all size wires.

I must admit I have never used a bushing on pvc entering a box unless the conductors were 4 or larger.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It is interesting that 352.46 states what it says and then has an informational note back to 300.4(G) for conductors 4awg and larger.

Why the informational note? Doesn't seem necessary if the intent was for all size wires.

I must admit I have never used a bushing on pvc entering a box unless the conductors were 4 or larger.

Isn't informational note just information and not enforcable?

Also, I can agree that on PVC you don't have as much chance to damage the conductors but could the intent of the plastic bushing be there to protect the PVC fitting form getting damaged while pulling the wires. (you know how the pulling medium cuts into the fitting)

Status
Not open for further replies.