Temp Service, Ground Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I haven't done a temporary service in several years, have been asked for a price on one for underground. I have the panel, with 2 120v GFI's and a 240 on GFI breaker.
All I have to do is mount it on a 6 foor pole and install.

Last I knew a temp sevice only required 1 ground rod. Anyone else in NC done a temp service recently?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I know of nothing in the NEC that relaxes the rules for grounding on a temporary service, however, by practice in many areas, only one rod may be required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Check with the ahj. I know of two counties around here that required two. I think it is absolutely ridiculous to enforce two however as Gus stated there is no exception.

bphgravity

Some questions, like this one, can only be answered by your local AHJ.

I personally have never required more than one ground rod for a temporary service.

ceb58

I haven't done a temporary service in several years, have been asked for a price on one for underground. I have the panel, with 2 120v GFI's and a 240 on GFI breaker.
All I have to do is mount it on a 6 foor pole and install.

Last I knew a temp sevice only required 1 ground rod. Anyone else in NC done a temp service recently?

All the counties around me ,where I work, require 2. On my job with the state the DOA inspectors require 2. My guess is if the State inspectors are doing it the rest of the local inspectors are also.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Do you guys ever call the " call before you dig #" when you drive ground rods?

Never have, don't know anyone who has. I guess that will catch up with us one day. On jobs where I've had it marked for digging, I allow plenty of clearance.

I guess the stickers should be changed to read "call before you dig or drive".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Many years ago, all we used for temorary services was a "butt" wrap on the bottom of the pole.

I guess that if I wrap 20' of #4 around the "butt" of the pole, I can say I have a ground ring;)

Status
Not open for further replies.