Equipment Ground Bars Jumped???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The equipment ground bar in a sub panel is almost always not enough for the amount of ground wires from home runs that you have to terminate inside it and you have to add a second ground bar opposite on the other side of the panel bus. My Question is do I have to run a jumper wire from the equipment ground bar that came with the sub panel to the new one on the other side or can I just count on the panel enclosure to make connectivity between the 2 ground bars? It is a sub panel so the neutrals are separate and already have there own separate bar. I'm not asking about them. Just the equipment ground bars is what I'm asking about. If you believe a jumper is needed from one equipment ground bar to the other on the opposite side can you site me the code reference from the code book? Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The equipment ground bar in a sub panel is almost always not enough for the amount of ground wires from home runs that you have to terminate inside it and you have to add a second ground bar opposite on the other side of the panel bus. My Question is do I have to run a jumper wire from the equipment ground bar that came with the sub panel to the new one on the other side or can I just count on the panel enclosure to make connectivity between the 2 ground bars? It is a sub panel so the neutrals are separate and already have there own separate bar. I'm not asking about them. Just the equipment ground bars is what I'm asking about. If you believe a jumper is needed from one equipment ground bar to the other on the opposite side can you site me the code reference from the code book? Thanks.

I don't believe a jumper is required for the EGC. If it were the neutral conductor it would require connection with a jumper.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is certainly common to not use a jumper in such a case. Whether it meets code or not is dubious IMO.

The code tells you what can be used as an EGC. See 250.118. Which one of them says the skin of the panelboard can be used as an EGC?

OTOH, the MBJ is specifically allowed to be a screw that extends through the neutral bar and into the skin.

Last edited:

hurk27

The only thing that would require you to put a jumper from ground bar is the requirment for GEC's to be connected by wire or buss but not screws to the grounded conductor (neutral), while GEC's are not landed in a subpanel anyways so your good to go.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code tells you what can be used as an EGC. See 250.118. Which one of them says the skin of the panelboard can be used as an EGC? ...
If we go by that, the only way we can use a metal raceway as an EGC is to use a grounding bushing and jumper at the panel enclosure.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If we go by that, the only way we can use a metal raceway as an EGC is to use a grounding bushing and jumper at the panel enclosure.
If you go by what the code actually says as opposed to what the actual practice has been for many decades, that would be the case.

Interestingly, gutters are one of the things that are allowed to be EGCs. But not panelboards.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you go by what the code actually says as opposed to what the actual practice has been for many decades, that would be the case.

Interestingly, gutters are one of the things that are allowed to be EGCs. But not panelboards.

Every time we run a piece of conduit to a panelboard we are using it as an EGC. I don't understand.

kwired

Electron manager
250.96 allows the cabinet enclosing a panelboard as well as other metallic enclosures, frames, etc. to be used as an equipment grounding conductor. In fact it pretty much says they are equipment grounding conductors and that you must insure that they have good electrical continuity.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
250.96 allows the cabinet enclosing a panelboard as well as other metallic enclosures, frames, etc. to be used as an equipment grounding conductor. In fact it pretty much says they are equipment grounding conductors and that you must insure that they have good electrical continuity.

This section does not actually say they are EGCs. And the section that defines what an EGC is does not include them.

Cavie

The factory ground bar is attached to the can with screws. This is a machanical connection. Your added ground bar is attached with screws. This is a mechanical connection. No jumper needed.

kwired

Electron manager
This section does not actually say they are EGCs. And the section that defines what an EGC is does not include them.

You may be right. I can't find anything stating that a cabinet or outlet box is allowed to be used as an EGC. They are required to be connected to the EGC but nothing says they qualify as EGC. By connecting them to a EGC does that make them become part of the EGC? For years people have been using cabinets and boxes as the EGC connection to metal raceways that are specifically mentioned as an acceptable EGC. there are sections stating that paint must be removed or use of fittings that do not require paint removal are required, there are also sections that state that certain types of punched knockouts are not acceptable as bonding method in certain cases. Still no mention of using a box or cabinet as an EGC:confused: I still think by attaching them to EGC they become part of it but am not finding where it says so.

Status
Not open for further replies.