Adobe 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Has anyone updated to Adobe Ten and can run the download of the NFPA-70 cir. 11' - with it ?

I have the Adobe 10, and do use it for early versions of NEC, but I do not like the way it works, they have really messed this version up, specially when opening up a PDF in IE 8.0 online viewing.

Try clicking save as a file and download it to your hard drive then open it up with Adobe, this is what I have to do with many PDF files otherwise it will try to open it in IE which is where I run into problems.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I had trouble with adobe X. NFPA says that the pdf. won't work correctly with X.

I download X and could only open the Nec 2011.pdf once. The second time wouldn't work. I had to delete X and go back to 9.X

tkb

I had trouble with adobe X. NFPA says that the pdf. won't work correctly with X.

I download X and could only open the Nec 2011.pdf once. The second time wouldn't work. I had to delete X and go back to 9.X

That funny, they have a link to Acrobat Reader 10.0 on their download page.

tkb

Well unless adobe fixed the problem I wouldn't use it. I will try and remember to contact NFPA and see if it works now.

I have to contact the NFPA Monday anyways.
I have problems with the NECH PDF I purchased from them.

Cannot download 2nd copy as promised on phone.
Photo resolution is very poor.
Cannot add comments or highlight.

I was able to highlight and comment in Reader 7, but it would not save to the file.

Commenting and highlighting are not available in Reader 10, and in The full version of Acrobat 6 these tools are grayed out.

Tried using Adobe Reader 7 and 10, also Acrobat 6.

Using 6, I get a compatibility error even though they advertise that the file is compatible with v6 of higher.

Also in previous years, the PDF of the code book was available. This year you cannot get the PDF version of the codebook. I guess you have to call and beg.

The new format seems like a step backwards from the 2008.
With the Folio View version you also got the PDF of the codebook, you could bookmark, highlight and comment in the text.

I will be very upset to find out that I will have to purchase a new $300 version of Acrobat to get all of the functionality that we had previously.

After I call them Monday, I may be asking for a refund and just get the book.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's funny I never had a problem with the Folio View functionality of the 2008 CD-ROM. Too bad they didn't follow the don't fix what isn't broken rule.

tkb

I also never had a problem with Fiolo View.
Thy probably wanted too much money from the NFPA for 2011 and they decided to make the PDF themselves to our detriment.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
It's funny I never had a problem with the Folio View functionality of the 2008 CD-ROM.

I'm sure that I have post here when speaking to the NFPA about an unrelated issue I asked about the discontinuation of the CD's. At that time I was told that the company that developed that software no longer supports it.

cadpoint

I have to contact the NFPA Monday anyways.

If I might suggest a question! ?

Here's what I'd ask, "Is it the download of the software that is infront of the actual NEC PDF that is the problem" it seems that this little piece of software inhibits a version upgrade, it was constructed under version 9 and crashes in ten. One will have to hold of 3 years of reader up-grades?

MO
Yes this software is surely controling all aspects of Adobe reader and what is causing it to foul in Version ten.

joebell

I'm sure that I have post here when speaking to the NFPA about an unrelated issue I asked about the discontinuation of the CD's. At that time I was told that the company that developed that software no longer supports it.

or are they trying to push subscriptions to NECPLUS, just a thought.

tkb

I just spoke to the NFPA about the lack of the ability to highlight and comment in the PDF handbook.

They told me that I had to purchase Adobe Acrobat Pro for over $400 to have the ability to comment and highlight in the new PDF.

This is a HUGE step backwards on the functionality from the last version and a HUGE increase in price just to have the electronic version of the code.

I asked for a refund and they told me I had to delete the file and then they would issue a refund.
The file reports back to the NFPA when you are using it.

These are things that they don't disclose on their website.

When I asked why I wasn't told that I had to purchase Acrobat Pro to be able to highlight, I was told that they never said that I WOULD be able to highlight like in previous versions in the information they disclose.

So if you want the handbook PDF, it will cost $150 for the PDF and $400 for Acrobat Pro.

tkb

I called them back to ask about Adobe X and was told it only works with Pro.
I talked to someone that didn't know anything. She didn't have a clue about version numbers.

I am considering on purchasing X, but not if it doesn't work.

Someone that knows about the PDF is supose to call me back.
I'm not spending any money it it won't do what I want it to.

tkb

UPDATE:

The NFPA tech support called me and told me that the plugin for Acrobat is not working as they thought it was supose to.
You are supose to be able to highlight and comment by using the Acrobat Reader X.

They are working on it with the plug in vendor.

One of the NFPA people told me that with X you may have to make a change to get the files to open. Edit, Preferences, General, uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup".

I have Reader X and I am able to open the Handbook PDF but can't highlight or comment yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.