Permits in CA for Service work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Anyone have some insight as to what is allowed and not?
If you look in the Ca building code you will see that it says " minor repair work" under electrical.
If you look under Ca Electric code it says you can replace the receptacle but not the outlet. The CA elct code makes no mention of luminairs and other utilization devices. So does this mean you cannot replace a light switch?

The funny thing is each code the Ca electric code and the CA building code state that they supersceed any other code.

Gotta love California.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Gee no thoughts. I guess no one from Ca we all must be swamped or standing in line getting permits.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is there anyone in California that could reply,
I think this is a valid discussion that can impact many contractors.

Thanks

Loffgren

re

re

For service work, removal and replacement of receptacles, switches, circuit breakers, open neutral we do not obtain permits. I am not aware of a permit needed for small repairs.

220/221

Don't ask, don't tell.

I assume there is a lot of unpermitted service work going on by legitimate contractors that technically should be permitted.

If everything was permitted, a one hour service call turns into a 3 hour service call and that is not good for anyone. It's a waste of resources.

Loffgren

re

re

I agree our minimum permit / fee is 300.00. This would make any service call absured, although if it was enforced we would follow.

Loffgren

re

re

East Bay, for example if we pull a permit for a 1200.00 job the city permit fees are around 179.00 my cost, plus our time to get the permit, draw out the site plans, inspections, etc...

Walnut Creelk, Pleasanton, Danville, Orinda, etc....

Now granted some cities like Santa Rosa the same permit is 70.14.. In that case we add 150.00...

I get the feeling most cities are hurting for funding. I have noticed business lisc. fee go from 70 a year to 380 a year as well

TOOL_5150

I live in that area - and permit fees are not $300.

The highest I have seen in my service area is san jose.

I cover from napa to santa cruz.

~Matt

Strife

Really?
1hr to do the drawings and application.
1hr to drop the permit.
1hr to pick the permit.
15 min to call the inspection.
If the inspector is nice he might tell you he'll be there between 10 and 1. Of course you show up at quarter to 10 and the inspector shows up at quarter past 1.
Add to that the minimum permit fee the city charges (which is minimum 120+ here in South Florida.
And then you pray the inspector didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed and hit you with a red tag because you forgot a blank and he down't have the time to wait one minute to put one.
So you still think it's too much 300?

Loffgren where are you located? That is one steep permit fee minimum.

Loffgren

re

re

I live in that area - and permit fees are not $300.

The highest I have seen in my service area is san jose.

I cover from napa to santa cruz.

~Matt

I did not say they were 300.00 fine sir I said "our" minimum fee is 300

Please see above i said our cost is 179.00 for a 1200 job.

For the sake of keeping the peace i'd be happy to scan a few for you.

Last edited:

Loffgren

re

re

Really?
1hr to do the drawings and application.
1hr to drop the permit.
1hr to pick the permit.
15 min to call the inspection.
If the inspector is nice he might tell you he'll be there between 10 and 1. Of course you show up at quarter to 10 and the inspector shows up at quarter past 1.
Add to that the minimum permit fee the city charges (which is minimum 120+ here in South Florida.
And then you pray the inspector didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed and hit you with a red tag because you forgot a blank and he down't have the time to wait one minute to put one.
So you still think it's too much 300?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.