Nec 410.16

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

Has anyone seen any light fixtures listed for within the storage area of a clothing closet as allowed per 410.16(C) (5)? Where do I find them? (LED?s specifically.)

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
you mean specifically "listed for clothes closet" ? I don't think there are fixture with this type of listing.

However, i am sure you know that NEC requires certain type of fixtures you can install in closet.

marti smith

The code states "identified as suitable" not listed. In the past, the builder or GC has supplied the fixtures (and everyones taste is different): if they aren't to the specs found in 410.16, they get a run by the AHJ. Some spec clothes closets are so strangely arranged that some serious planning must occur for the end result to be compliant.

cycotcskir

Interesting,

Although not mentioned in B; in A3, the LED is restricted to ones that are "identified
as suitable for installation within the storage area".

C3 is subject to A3 so it could also read: "150 mm (6 in.) for recessed incandescent or LED (identified
as suitable for installation within the storage area)
luminaires
with a completely enclosed light source installed
in the wall or the ceiling"

I'm not sure if this is the intent, but with the way I read it... I would say that unless you can find one that is identified, you'd better call the inspector.

cycotcskir

The code states "identified as suitable" not listed. In the past, the builder or GC has supplied the fixtures (and everyones taste is different): if they aren't to the specs found in 410.16, they get a run by the AHJ. Some spec clothes closets are so strangely arranged that some serious planning must occur for the end result to be compliant.

As an example:
410.116 Clearance and Installation.
(A) Clearance.
(1) Non-Type IC. A recessed luminaire that is not identified
for contact with insulation
shall have all recessed parts
spaced not less than 13 mm (1⁄2 in.) from combustible
materials. The points of support and the trim finishing off
the opening in the ceiling or wall surface shall be permitted
to be in contact with combustible materials.

Who identifies this, the manufacturer does. While the AHJ may be willing to accept it, they may defer to the manufactures instruction and identified intent.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone seen any light fixtures listed for within the storage area of a clothing closet as allowed per 410.16(C) (5)? Where do I find them? (LED?s specifically.)

No, I haven't see any. To be honest, I didn't even know that exception existed.

Let us know if you find any.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sure there are closet rod leds that are for closets-- obviously.

closetrod.jpg
11img.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.