help w/ halo ground ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
bidding on a cable headend site;

rfq specifies a halo ground ring around the building; not very familiar w/ these as lightning protection has been sub'd out in the past.

the building is 11.5'x20'; are the requirements to place one ground rod @ each corner? seems like the last time we ran conduit for our lightning sub-contractor we spaced them about 25' but that building was 600k sq ft.

where do i find the requirements? customer has not been a good source for information.

also they specify "inspection ports" to verify the cadwelding; is this just a handhole over each groundrod?

thanks

ceb58

bidding on a cable headend site;

rfq specifies a halo ground ring around the building; not very familiar w/ these as lightning protection has been sub'd out in the past.

the building is 11.5'x20'; are the requirements to place one ground rod @ each corner? seems like the last time we ran conduit for our lightning sub-contractor we spaced them about 25' but that building was 600k sq ft.

where do i find the requirements? customer has not been a good source for information.

also they specify "inspection ports" to verify the cadwelding; is this just a handhole over each groundrod?

thanks

PM me with your E-mail. I will send you a copy of Motorola's R-56 standards for grounding. It has good info for what you are doing.
As far as the inspection port we just use 4" PVC pipe. Put the pipe in about 6-8" lower than the top of the rod and then back fill and gravel. Then just put a cap on the pipe just above grade.

ceb58

I should be charging $$$$$$ :grin::grin::grin:

I have sent it. Let me know if there is any problems

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I should be charging $$$$$$ :grin::grin::grin:

I have sent it. Let me know if there is any problems

Oh my goodness Ceb!
What have you done!!!
R56! Their heads will explode!!! LOL

ceb58

the info was just what i was looking for.

thanks curtis.

You be welcome. One thing to keep in mind about it. It is there standard from 05. and they use the 05 NEC code for a reference. Most of the codes have not changed but it is a good idea to verify against the 08 or 11 (if you are under it already)

Status
Not open for further replies.