Commericial Weatherproof Ceiling Fan Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveyablonicky

I have to mount a ceiling fan under a steel frame (for a covered patio).

I already have run the line in EMT, using round Bell boxes for junctions. However, now the client wants to hang fans instead of light fixtures. I don't feel comfortable hanging a ceiling fan from those boxes.

Is there a outdoor box that is rated to hang a Ceiling fan from?

kwired

Electron manager
Unless this has good reason to consider it a wet location it is only a damp location and standard box is acceptable. If it is a wet location then the ceiling fan needs to be rated for wet location also.

That said - the fan does not need to be supported by the box the box must be rated for fan support if it does support the fan, you can always put mounting bolt through box and make structure behind box do the support.

cadpoint

That said - the fan does not need to be supported by the box the box must be rated for fan support if it does support the fan, you can always put mounting bolt through box and make structure behind box do the support.

The Code Articles are listed in the Index, the Code Articles don't support your statement in blue.

Ceiling Fans 680.22(B), 680.43(B)
Ceiling Fans; Support 314.27(C), 422.18

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The Code Articles are listed in the Index, the Code Articles don't support your statement in blue.
I have mounted a fan in a gazebo by using a round cast bell-box and running the bracket screws outside the box and through the box mounting ears and into the framing. I believe I used 6" long 1/4" lag screws.

kwired

Electron manager

Ceiling Fans 680.22(B), 680.43(B)
Ceiling Fans; Support 314.27(C), 422.18

I don't see what the quoted sections from 680 have to do with this thread at all.

314.27(D) not (C) applies -

Outlet boxes or outlet box systems used as the sole support of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall be listed

422.18 also applies -

Ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be supported independently of an outlet box or by listed outlet box or outlet box systems identified for the use and installed in accordance with 314.27(D).

What I suggested is to support the fan independent of the box why do you suggest these articles do not support that when that is almost word for word what it says?

cadpoint

Well the one Code Article I didn't read was 422.18, let me apoligize.

I'm reading from 11' and all numbers respresent the Index, are correct as I typed them.

I'm glad I was able to get everyone looking at the Code. Frankly the idea of a second box seems quite ususall and frankly just seems loopie and probably visually distracting, more work and probably not desireable. OK JMO!

If the OP determined that the AHJ will say it is a wet location, a structural attachment through a cast box is not worthy of using a cast box. If one wants to use the cast bolt eyes, then I'm all for it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
314.27(D) not (C) applies -

422.18 also applies -

What I suggested is to support the fan independent of the box why do you suggest these articles do not support that when that is almost word for word what it says?

Sounds like you've gotten it right to me. :)

cadpoint

I'm sorry, Let me apoligize.

I'm sorry if I continually come across rougher than sand paper at the beach.

I hope the install went along well? Did you drill or use a clamp?

With exposed steel and fans, the install in my opinion screams for use of the minimum to get it done.

It's hard enough to get people to look at the Code, looking or an exception almost seems comicial but in this one case it does exist. Would I use it no, do I like it not really, does it allow creativeness yes, does it answer the OP question... Well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.