Writing Contract Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I was laid off and forced to create work for myself. I am planning to start doing small jobs (hanging fans, etc.) while I wait for the business license. I am very short of cash and I am trying to avoid hiring an attorney until I start producing some income. The first thing I need is a contract form.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find a prewritten contract form or a book that describes how to write one? I went to Amazon and they have many books with businesss forms but I don't know which one to get for a small electrical business.

Thanks

satcom

Hi,
I was laid off and forced to create work for myself. I am planning to start doing small jobs (hanging fans, etc.) while I wait for the business license. I am very short of cash and I am trying to avoid hiring an attorney until I start producing some income. The first thing I need is a contract form.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find a prewritten contract form or a book that describes how to write one? I went to Amazon and they have many books with businesss forms but I don't know which one to get for a small electrical business.

Thanks

There is a proposal form somewhere on this site, that may help get you started, however having it reviewed by an attorney to see if the correct liability limits and laws that are in line with your state

If you don,t have the money to have a basic contract reviewed you may not be in a position to start a business, it takes a good chunk of money to get a business up and running and then a pile of dough to keep it a float.

The last three years have left a trail of failures of the contractors that were under funded, there is everything from work vans, tools and equipment you can pick up for pennies on the dollar, so if you have some money there are some real steals out there, might be a good idea to have a few part time jobs just to keep you going until things start to recover a bit.

Last edited:
The last three years have left a trail of failures of the contractors that were under funded, there is everything from work vans, tools and equipment you can pick up for pennies on the dollar, so if you have some money there are some real steals out there, might be a good idea to have a few part time jobs just to keep you going until things start to recover a bit.

Thanks satcom,
I understand the money factor. Under other circumstances, I would not even think about opening a business. What forces me is that I have reached the age (58) in which, in the present work environment, I can not get hired, regardless of how much I know or how much experience I have. Opening the business is a desperate move to at least make some sort of income.

I have been unemployed for 1.5 years now and I placed no less than 50 applications in that time. I went through tests and interviews and after one year, in one of them, I found an former work colleague applying for the same job. He is about 35 years old. We both took the same test and we both qualified for the interview. Even though I have more experience and much higher education, he was chosen for the job. I am still sending applications and have a couple of interviews coming up but I've lost faith.

The last I have is about 10 grand coming back from my 2009 tax return which I did not file on time because I was too busy trying to get a job. Hopefully that is enough to get a business rolling.

I had not tought about buying used equipment. You're right, there should be a bunch of vans available. All I have is a car but I'll start looking for a used van. I have a complete set of tools and a ladder but a van would not hurt.

I guess I'll have to break down and hire an attorney to set me up.

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
While it is not PC to say so, and maybe illegal to base a hiring decision on it, everything else that matters being close to equal, there is a huge difference in the utility of a 30 some YO employee and a near 60 YO in a physically oriented job.

Employers just cannot ignore reality.

Employers just cannot ignore reality.

That is the truth. Having never been unemployed, it took me a while to even start to think about it but I finally came to the realization that employers have everything measured and I am outside their standards. The only one that is going to hire me is Me.

growler

All I have is a car but I'll start looking for a used van. I have a complete set of tools and a ladder but a van would not hurt.

You have to have a van or a truck of some sort to transport tools and materials. It's these tools and materials that mainly get you the jobs. You will starve to death just trying to install fans that you can get with a 6 ft ladder that it's possible to haul around in a car.

You will need at least 6,8,10 ft step ladders and a 20 or 24 extension ladder. I used every one of these on a small job sunday night and all I started out to do was check out a light and receptacle. The job turned into almost two days of work because of all the bad wiring I found.

You don't make any money installing fans you do that to get your foot in the door so that if there are bigger problems you are ready and can handle them.

You have to have a van or a truck of some sort to transport tools and materials. It's these tools and materials that mainly get you the jobs. You will starve to death just trying to install fans that you can get with a 6 ft ladder that it's possible to haul around in a car

Is there a place other than ebay to buy used, specialized tools?

renosteinke

It should be pointed out that, absent a valid business license for the entire duration of a contract, that the contracts will NOT be enforced by the courts. That is, they won't require the customer to pay you.

The courts WILL use a grneral doctrine of liability, though, to hold you responsible for anything that goes wrong.

Worksafe, thanks for Craiglist. I am checking it out.

renasteinke: I should point out that I currently have a Master Electrician License which allows me to pull permits in Colorado and I am wating for the response from the state to obtain a contractor license. I would not want to do any work that does not have the blessing of the Law.

Given that, any other suggestions on where to get work, tools, a van, etc. will be appreciated.

satcom

Also, now that I've decided to use an lawyer, does anyone know any good lawyers in the Denver area?

Thank you

No in your case you should be able to some free help form one of the many groups out there helping people getting a small business started I have to look at help in you area it may take me a bit of time but I am sure others on here will try to help

B W E

Craigslist

I've found some decent stuff on there.
I definitely second the Craigslist idea. Right after I started my own business, I landed a two story addition. I didn't have my own hole-hawg so I looked on Craigslist. Found a guy who was in the business of buying out all the tools / materials of guys who went out of business. Scored two PERFECT condition hole-hawgs from the same guy for $180!! (for BOTH) Also got a 32' fiberglass extension ladder for $100, a 24' for $80, and 6' step ladder for $20. Also get wire for pretty cheap too, brand new rolls of 12 stranded for $40 and #10 for $60. I see 14' and 16' a-frame ladders all the time for about $100 but haven't gotten one yet.

John120/240

I definitely second the Craigslist idea. Right after I started my own business, I landed a two story addition. I didn't have my own hole-hawg so I looked on Craigslist. Found a guy who was in the business of buying out all the tools / materials of guys who went out of business. Scored two PERFECT condition hole-hawgs from the same guy for $180!! (for BOTH) Also got a 32' fiberglass extension ladder for $100, a 24' for $80, and 6' step ladder for $20. Also get wire for pretty cheap too, brand new rolls of 12 stranded for $40 and #10 for $60. I see 14' and 16' a-frame ladders all the time for about $100 but haven't gotten one yet.

CAUTION some tools & material may be too hot to touch.

Sparky555

I think it's very likely you supported contractor theft. I never buy used tools.

Sparky555

Also, now that I've decided to use an lawyer, does anyone know any good lawyers in the Denver area?

Thank you

My first lawyer went to an office supply store and got me some duplicate Contractor Proposal forms for about $15. Last year I drew up a custom contract proposal with my lawyer for about $1,000. Take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.