250 hp softart

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Class 20 is the standard NEMA overload device. A class 20 overload device will hold 6 times its rated current for 20 seconds. This time is to permit the motor to start. Most IEC overloads are class 10 and they trip at 6 times rated current after 10 seconds. Class 30 overloads are used for loads with a high inertia where it takes the motor more time to get up to speed.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Class 20 is the standard NEMA overload device. A class 20 overload device will hold 6 times its rated current for 20 seconds. This time is to permit the motor to start. Most IEC overloads are class 10 and they trip at 6 times rated current after 10 seconds. Class 30 overloads are used for loads with a high inertia where it takes the motor more time to get up to speed.
ld

Got that part of it and that is all good for the typical NEMA starter. You give up a bit of run protection for the motor to start.

The softstart has a much better, I hope, process for determining overload at run. Is the class just used at startup or is it again used in calculations for run protection?

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
The softstart has a much better, I hope, process for determining overload at run.
At 250HP, and softSTART, I'd expect a bypass contactor taking the electronics and the voltage drop out of the system ... run protection and start protection will likely be separate.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
At 250HP, and softSTART, I'd expect a bypass contactor taking the electronics and the voltage drop out of the system ... run protection and start protection will likely be separate.

Not necessarily, we just installed a 500HP AB SMC Flex softstart with no seperate run bypass contactors....

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
ld

Got that part of it and that is all good for the typical NEMA starter. You give up a bit of run protection for the motor to start.

The softstart has a much better, I hope, process for determining overload at run. Is the class just used at startup or is it again used in calculations for run protection?

Tom,
The Soft Starter OL protection curve is for the Running condition. It may also be for starting, but it is perfectly acceptable (legal) to completely bypass the OL in startup, in fact it is necessary in some cases like centrifuges. I'm not saying it is that way or should be, I'm just pointing out that when we use the term "Over Load Protection", we are ALWAYS referring to "Running Over Load Protection" whether stated or not.

If it is a submersible pump or an IEC motor (power rating shown in kW is a clue), use Class 10

If it is a NEMA design motor, use Class 20

Class 30 is almost never used, it was for what were called "Mill Duty" motors which, because of efficiency standards, have all but ceased to exist. Some soft starter mfrs allow you to program 2 separate OL curves; one for Starting and one for Running. Motortronics, Toshiba, ABB, Benshaw and a few others are like that, don't know about WEG. In that case, I would often use Class 30 at start-up, then the SS will automatically change to Class 20 when it determines start-up is complete and the motor is running full voltage. That was a handy feature but the starter has to be bilt to take it and many are not.

But another caution, and again I don't know the WEG starter intimately, is that with some soft starters, selecting a different OL class LOWERS the rating of the soft starter. In other words it may say it is a 250HP starter if Class 10 OL is selected, but if you change the OL to class 20, it becomes a 200HP starter and skews the FLC parameters internally so that yo may then find yourself unable to set the motor FLC high enough for your motor. The Cutler-Hammer IT starters are like that, as are the Siemens 3RW40 and 44

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I believe the SMC Flex has integral bypass contacts, one in each stack. It doesn't look like a traditional contactor, but it's there.

You may be right. I didn't see a run bypass contactor beside the softstart, so I assumed it didn't have one...

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You may be right. I didn't see a run bypass contactor beside the softstart, so I assumed it didn't have one...
Each power stack consists of a pair of SCRs, a firing board, DV/DT snubber and a bypass contact integral to the phase unit. Many manufacturers are using a variation of that scheme, the main drawback is that you CANNOT use that bypass system to operate the motor if the soft starter is down,

Status
Not open for further replies.