Handicap switch hight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The CA building code says "no higher than 48 inches measured to the top of the box".

I don't know what the ADA book says and you won't find it in the NEC.

Inspectorfabs

Inspectorfabs

You can go to the barrier free subcode, Ansi 117.1-2003 this is the model code we use in N.J. all the info is listed here for anything reguarding the disabled.

tkb

I've searched the code and can't find it but is there a height requirement for switches for the handicapped?

It is in the MA amendments to the NEC.

521 CMR: ARCHITECTURAL ACCESS BOARD

39.3: HEIGHT
The highest operable part of controls, dispensers, receptacles, and other operable equipment shall be placed within at least one of the reach ranges specified in 521 CMR 6.5, Forward Reach and 521 CMR 6.6, Side Reach.

39.3.1 Electrical and communications system receptacles on walls shall be mounted between 15 inches (15" = 381mm) and 48 inches (48" = 1219mm) above the floor, measured at the centerline of the lowest receptacle.

Exception: These requirements do not apply where the use of special equipment dictates otherwise or where electrical and communications systems receptacles are not normally intended for use by building occupants.

There is more and with illustrations.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Thank you Tim, We just did a remodel and it turns out a person in a wheel chair bought the house. We always put our switches at 44" to the bottom and now we are asked to move the switches down lower because they are not at the proper height....

btharmy

The ones you installed are 44" to the bottom? Looks like your install is good. You could always submit a price to change them for the customer however. ;)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This may help:

viewer

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...hoMaIv&sig=AHIEtbTyuJz3ACaYW35dbmKdbLXahNvRfQ

As you can see, 44 is required, but 43 is recommended.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
See if this helps. Also if this is an individuals house then I believe you can do what they want and what suits them as long as the nec is followed. ADA rules do not apply, I think. :grin:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

raider1

Staff member
See if this helps. Also if this is an individuals house then I believe you can do what they want and what suits them as long as the nec is followed. ADA rules do not apply, I think. :grin:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Correct, for a home ANSI 117.1 does not apply, so there is not legal requirement to follow any accessible standard. The ADA and ANSI 117.1 applys to public buildings.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.