Dust shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I drilled a few holes in concrete walls for a friend doing cabling. Inch and 1/2 holes. After 1st hole & creating so much dust, I came up with a better idea. I started my hole a bit, cut the top off a kitty litter jug & taped it to the wall, mouth of jug outward, lower end lightly taped, allowing for movement.

Set bottom of jug on floor, close under the other part. As I drilled, the dust/grit dropped easily in the shield. Every 1 or 2 minutes, I pulled out on the bottom & it fell to the bottom. Had paper on floors too, roll the dust w paper & discard.

This worked great. A quick sweep or vaccuum cleaned up well.

__dan

Banned
I always find a piece of newspaper and fold it into a big envelope or pouch shape. Hold it together with black tape and tape the back to the wall. Better than 90% of the dust falls in the envelope, peel it and throw it out.

I put vacuum attachment points on boxes, plastic pails, clear plastic jugs, and containers. I use something like a 1 1/2" PVC terminal adapter that the vac hose slips into and is held with duct tape. Hole saw, TA with a locknut. I bandsaw off the excess threaded end of the TA.

The small clear plastic containers for screws, I have one with the PVC TA vac port for drilling anchors in raised floor plenum spaces, have others for contained abrasive wheel cutting with 4 1/2" grinders and metal cutting blades.

jmellc

Occupation
I always find a piece of newspaper and fold it into a big envelope or pouch shape. Hold it together with black tape and tape the back to the wall. Better than 90% of the dust falls in the envelope, peel it and throw it out.

I put vacuum attachment points on boxes, plastic pails, clear plastic jugs, and containers. I use something like a 1 1/2" PVC terminal adapter that the vac hose slips into and is held with duct tape. Hole saw, TA with a locknut. I bandsaw off the excess threaded end of the TA.

The small clear plastic containers for screws, I have one with the PVC TA vac port for drilling anchors in raised floor plenum spaces, have others for contained abrasive wheel cutting with 4 1/2" grinders and metal cutting blades.

I've done that with screw jar lids too, looking sort of like the Greenlee shielded hole saw on ceilings. A lid works good for a thin ceiling with small holes. A friend of mine from NJ had a really nice Greenlee with a heavy shield instead of the thinner, almost disposable ones we see sold now.

An ounce of prevention seriously is better than a pound of cure where dust is concerned, whether simple cleanliness is the issue or in your raised floor areas, contamination. Health issues too sometimes.

I need to get a better shop vac and make some similar devices to your's. My little vac is too weak.

I was amazed that the dust from 1 hole weighed nearly a pound. 1 1/2" hole, 8 inch wall.

Last edited:

GUNNING

Clean up clean up everyone everywhere! "Barny Cleanup Song"

Clean up clean up everyone everywhere! "Barny Cleanup Song"

I have 2 inch wide rolls of blue tape on the van. It won't peel off the paint as easily. I use the Plastic bags I get from the retail stores and tape them to the wall under my cut in boxes. Instant trash receptacle for dust and anything else I have to catch like wire insulation ends or plastic wrap from switch covers etc. Then its strip off and throw away.

I also have a service hepa vac from 3m. I got it used for $40 on ebay 2 years ago. It used to be used for toner cleanup. 1 Gallon HEPA cartridges that will last for a while if you only use it on dust cleanup and not the big stuff. People like the sound of a vacuum. Havn't explored the use of containment jugs yet.

Dust can be cut down with a bit of spritzed watter or even shaving cream. Makes a muddy mess for cleanup but smells great.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've found the cheap clear-plastic flower-pot liners to be excellent dust catchers for hole saws. They're crystal clear, light and flexible, and come in 6", 8", and 10" sizes.

ad9d2a2f-d827-47b2-aba6-fba41cc655bd_300.jpg

jmellc

Occupation
I've found the cheap clear-plastic flower-pot liners to be excellent dust catchers for hole saws. They're crystal clear, light and flexible, and come in 6", 8", and 10" sizes.

ad9d2a2f-d827-47b2-aba6-fba41cc655bd_300.jpg

Those look about like the Greenlee set with a shield. Plastic is about the same
thickness too. The better one my friend had was a thicker plastic shield. Those work best of all on ceilings, save your face & hair a lot of dust & trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.