?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjless

Ok so there's two buildings right next to each other one building has a spot light with a three way ss and an outlet the other building has the other end of the three way and an outlet. Now both outlets have to be constant and there is only 4 wires doing between buildings how is it done

highvolts582

huh?

huh?

Your leaving out some critical information in your question.
Did you count the ground with the wire count?
What building the light is on vs. What building your power is coming from.
Is power present at both buildings already or just on one?

If the buildings are close and it does not work out there are wireless 3ways and 3 ways that talk through 2 wire systems to get you out of jams like these but they cost money. If pulling more conductors is not possible.

kjless

Power can come in at either building its not what I'm doing its a ? My apprentice said his teacher said if he can answer it he will give him his missing hours for school I'm thinking its a bullshit ?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Power can come in at either building its not what I'm doing its a ? My apprentice said his teacher said if he can answer it he will give him his missing hours for school I'm thinking its a bullshit ?
The circuit is energized at the building without the light. You need one neutral, one hot, and two travelers going to the second building. That's four wires (not counting the EGC).

Oops... missed the part about a light on both buildings... but then again, you didn't say either light is actually energized through the 3-ways :)))

Last edited:

__dan

Banned
had an apprentice ask me the same question from school.

You need to use a relay to be compliant. EGC, neutral, two travelers. To make a constant hot outlet at the load side, tie the relay coil to the load side at the 3 way and the neutral.

Now feed the outlet hot side from SPDT contacts at the relay. Common goes to the outlet, two travelers go to the DT contacts.

Wire so the NC contact is on the hot traveler, flip the other switch to reverse travelers, the relay pulls and selects the NO contact to the outlet, which is now hot.

Voila, now collect the money.

If you really want to waste all your time and money, do the same with a closed transition relay, no power blips. But be advised, only Mom will care.

gave my answer to the apprentice at the end of the day who gave it to the instructor. The instructor then showed him how to do it but not meet code.

Status
Not open for further replies.