12.5 kv locate

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Customer called and wanted a private line locate done. Ok. Not. They had the transformer open for me. Ah, no thank you. Most likely I will let some one else do it unless I can find a local with experience and safety gear. Mine is.not rated for that.

My older Ideal locator has an antenna that will induce a.signal into a cable if it sits above the buried cable. Has anyone else use this method of locate successfully? I don't use it (that method) because you can not guarantee what you may be finding.

beanland

Inductive Coupling Locator

Inductive Coupling Locator

We have a Radiodetection locator that can detect the magnetic field of a current-carrying energized conductor or we can inject a higher frequency signal onto the cable using an inductive coupler. You do not have to make contact with the conductor at all.

mkgrady

We have a Radiodetection locator that can detect the magnetic field of a current-carrying energized conductor or we can inject a higher frequency signal onto the cable using an inductive coupler. You do not have to make contact with the conductor at all.

Can you do that on a shielded cable? This cable would be shielded and the shield is grounded.

hurk27

I have a couple primary metered trailer parks and RV camps, that I do locates for, all are fed with 7.2kv MV shielded cable, some are jacketed concentric and some are bare concentric neutrals, My RDF finds them every time, I just put my rod in the ground about 8' away from where they enter the ground, and connect black lead to the rod, and the red lead to the concentric, or in cases where jacketed, just connect it to the transformer case, but you will stray off on other runs if you not sure in which direction it goes, normally I use the 8kz for most locates, but may use higher frequencies when I need to narrow the cable down, my unit will also tell me the depth the cable is at.

This is a PDF on the unit I have:

http://www.3m.com/intl/kr/network/pdf/2273.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.