Electrical Wiring & Chinese Drywall

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Federal product-safety regulators said Friday that there is no need to remove electrical wiring when fixing homes built with tainted Chinese-made drywall.

The announcement by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development comes nearly a year after the agencies recommended that the homes be stripped of all the problem wallboard and electrical wiring. The commission, which is leading a $3.5 million multi-agency investigation into the imported drywall, has said the drywall emits higher levels of volatile sulfur gases than the typical U.S.-made wallboard and causes metal corrosion in homes. The commission said it based its new recommendations on a study conducted on the agency's behalf by Sandia National Laboratories in New Mexico, which found no evidence of a safety hazard to home electrical systems. The study was conducted over eight weeks and was designed to simulate how 40 years of corrosive conditions would impact wiring in homes with problem drywall. Scientists did not observe any long-term electrical safety concerns such as smoking or fire, the commission reported. The agency's recommendations are not binding on homebuilders or homeowners dealing with the tainted drywall and come as regulators in Virginia are working on an official code for the state, which is expected to be released as early as May. When supplies of U.S.-made drywall became scarce in 2005 during the building boom, a now-defunct Norfolk construction supplier imported enough Chinese-made drywall to build more than 300 homes. The drywall has since been found in scores of homes across the region. More than 80 homes in Hampton Roads have been or are in the process of being remediated since the problem drywall was discovered in early 2009. While local builders have in many cases removed the drywall, some have not removed the electrical wiring. The new protocol puts the federal agencies at odds with a federal judge in New Orleans overseeing hundreds of drywall cases. In an April 2010 ruling, Judge Eldon Fallon said the homes must be gutted, including removing all electrical wiring and appliances. "The insulation jackets on electrical wires do not adequately protect them from corrosive attack," Fallon wrote. "Reactive sulfur gases permeate the sheathing and corrode wires from the inside out." The commission's recommendations now include replacing all problem wallboard, fire safety devices, gas service piping and electrical distribution components.

FULL REPORT:

http://www.cpsc.gov/info/drywall/Remediation031811.pdf

dhamman

Isn't it interesting that the corrosive conditions eat through the copper AC Coils but don't affect the copper wire according to this study ? I have actually rewired houses where the drywall has been replaced 2 times because they did not rewire the first time, and until this recent statement the same agency was reccomending replacing the wire. Most of the builders I work for are still going to replace the wire because compared to the total cost of the remediation how much more to rewire and the have no question about the condition of the copper wiring. And they don't want to worry if they will come back next year and change their mind again. I have attached a photo of a pigtail from a ARC Fault Breaker we cut off and stripped back 6" and the black crawled up that far? It does not seem to do that on the solid wire in the Romex.

Attachments

• 2011-03-21_12-10-09_891.jpg
    2011-03-21_12-10-09_891.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 2

GUNNING

Follow the money

Follow the money

I guess the study they used was paid for by the Chinese drywall industry. My brother in law did a study for a large research firm to dispel the belief of Leukemia and high voltage transmission lines. He was quite graphic on how particular the sample group was to be chosen to get the "correct" results. It was paid for by the Transmission line companies.
Eventually the right result will be found for the Chinese drywall but only after the statute of limitations on liability is passed or the class action suite has formed.

In the mean time its an opportunity for builders to do it over again, and an hard sell for electricians. The sulfur might not affect copper but maybe steel screws like in sheet rock and receptacle screws. Maybe somebody got it wrong, obviously wrong. Maybe when the wire starts to go bad the insurance industry will take a second look see. For now, maybe the electric wire industry or electrical trade industry should do there own study.

Strife

I believe the AC coils are much less copper(and more of other things) than copper wire. Copper wire is almost 98% copper, whereas the coils in the AC and the plumbing tubing is much less. I know scrap yards pay 4-4.50 for wire, but only 2 or so for plumbing pipes.
So I can see where the AC coils would corrode where the wire wouldn't. As far as I know, pure copper doesn't corrode. I have seen wiring in rigid conduit where 2 feet of the pipe was COMPLETELY gone. but the copper was still good.

Isn't it interesting that the corrosive conditions eat through the copper AC Coils but don't affect the copper wire according to this study ?

Effects of Chinese Drywall on Electrical Wiring and Devices

Effects of Chinese Drywall on Electrical Wiring and Devices

In May of 2011 my company was hired by an engineering firm that was testing for Chinese drywall. Although not all of the Chinese drywall is thought to be causing ill effects to electrical wiring and devices, some of it definitely is.

At one home where the wiring was tested, a 3-way switch I had pulled out from a junction box literally fell apart in my hand. On another home the corrosion was so bad that the ground wire snapped into two pieces where it was visibly thinner and less flexible. In yet another home the flat screen tv's were said to have been replaced several times by the homeowner. In that particular case an imgae would only appear on half of the screen and the other half there was no image at all.

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck..................

kwired

Electron manager
The copper in most building wire is only exposed where the insulation has been stripped to expose it, usually at termination points.

Make your own interpretations with this in mind.

GUNNING

$$$$

$$$$

I have switches and receptacles snap apart in my hands all the time. The parts are made of plated steel or aluminum. Think a little H2SO4 is going to do a little damage? Yuppers. Anyone who has been in a pool pump room knows that.
What the Chinese drywall is doing to the wires & devices is not good and just an indication as to what it is doing to the inhabitants and their assets.

Hazardous locations use different materials and techniques.

Evidently we have the best Federal Judges money can buy.:slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.