Foreign systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaelectric

I have an inspector that cites 110.26 for an area above a sub-panel in a mechanical room in a residential basement finish.

There is a 1/2" water pipe that runs across the ceiling fastened to the floor joists. There is also a furnace flue that is in the dedicated space as well. We kept all of the combustible material clear of that.

Now i'm confused as to the way the code reads on 110.26F(1)a and b.

(
PHP:
1) Indoor. Indoor installations shall comply with 110.26(F)(1)(a) through (F)(1)(d).     
(a) 	Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.                               
Exception:  Suspended ceilings with removable panels shall be permitted within the 1.8-m (6-ft) zone. 
(b) 	Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

It says that there can be no leak protection apparatus in the dedicated space in (a) then says it shall be permitted to be there if protection is provided in (b).

Trying not to move the panel if possible.

Sorry I should probably have posted this in NEC and don't know how to move it now.

Last edited:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Part b is for foreign things 6' above the panel or higher. Don't think that will apply in a residential basement. I think your choices are to lower the finish ceiling so that pipe is "above" the ceiling (build a soffit). Or. move the pipe.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note that the restriction is for the depth and width of the panel itself.
Is your foreign piping actually over the panel ?

gaelectric

Yes. The plumbing pipes (there are actually two) run perpendicular to the panel through the joist space above the panel.

There is limited space in the room where you can get the clearance width wise and in front of the panel. I've never had an inspector call a plumbing pipe above before. I would just figure in a residence if something caused those pipes to burst getting water in the panel may not be of chief concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.