Home Warranty Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBuck

Has anyone worked with any home warranty companies? If you have what have your experiences been like? Do they pay in a timely fashion? I am looking into signing up as a contractor with some of them, any input would be appreciated.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I haven't but, what I've heard from the customers standpoint has not been good and personally I wouldn't want my name associated with them if the tales are true.

I am not saying there are not good ones out there, I just haven't heard about them.

Roger

GUNNING

assurance companies

assurance companies

The ones I have dealt with say they warranty everything. If you read the fine print on electrical they say they don't cover any existing wiring inside the house and on another page they say they don't cover any existing wiring outside of the house including the service.
It's a racket but if you are good on your salesman feet it will get you leads. Just don't expect anything from the assurance company.

Did I misspell that?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm kind of with Roger on this one. I have one of the plans and it seems that everytime they come over it cost's me the $40 fee to tell me that whatever it is isn't covered, or that they will only cover $1500 of a job that the contractor says is gonna cost $3000.

SBuck

Thank you for your posts, not sure if I will do it. I have checked comments from customers of most of these warranty companies. The majority of customers think of the warranty company as the same as the contractor. Sometimes you just don't need to be linked to bad companies.

220/221

Home Warranty Companies......suck.

They are insurance companies and are set up to take money in, not pay it out.

Total scam.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
we do work for one home warranty company; no problems that i know of. i can't remember exactly how long it takes to get paid but its at least 30 days. we charge slightly more than normal to make up for the delay.

they're good about approving claims as long as you have the specific coverage required. i don't think we've ever had one denied when the ho's contract stated it was covered.

i've asked customers out of curiousity how they like the warranty company; all have said positive things except the couple that tried to make a claim when they didn't have electrical coverage.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
With a former boss, we subbed to an EC that had lots of warranty business. Co. called him, he called us. I guess we made a little $ from it, but seemed we had to justify every minute of time & material. Call to approve this, call to approve that. Having to get into someones packed closet to get to the attic hatch didn't compute when justifying time spent on job. They usually wanted us to swallow travel time or a supply run, etc.

I now a plumber who says he makes good $ with a warranty co.

Status
Not open for further replies.