Overwired panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
That seems a little extreme. If you charged me 6 hours to label a panel, that'd be the last job you ever did for me.

What's a service change take based on your scale, 24 hrs?
you're probably right, I was thinking of some messes I've seen on old houses where circuits skip around, some stuff buried in the wall or abandoned but still hot, etc.

I quoted a service call at $75 yesterday (20 minute drive from shop) and the man hung up on me, maybe I am too high?

kwired

Electron manager
you're probably right, I was thinking of some messes I've seen on old houses where circuits skip around, some stuff buried in the wall or abandoned but still hot, etc.

I quoted a service call at $75 yesterday (20 minute drive from shop) and the man hung up on me, maybe I am too high?

You probably did not want to work for this person anyway. They would rather let someone throw $300.00 of parts at something guessing what was the cause of the problem and only charging $20 an hour (or even less) instead of paying a professional that knows what they are doing what they are worth. In the end they may find that all that was really needed was a $20.00 part, and the $20/hr guy has spent 5 hours trying to figure it out. Now he is up to $400 and you would have been $95.

knoppdude

Definitely not to high for a service call. If he calls back, and he may, tell him his price just went up, and you have a 4 hour minimum just special for him.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
You probably did not want to work for this person anyway. They would rather let someone throw $300.00 of parts at something guessing what was the cause of the problem and only charging $20 an hour (or even less) instead of paying a professional that knows what they are doing what they are worth. In the end they may find that all that was really needed was a $20.00 part, and the $20/hr guy has spent 5 hours trying to figure it out. Now he is up to $400 and you would have been $95.

I get batches of this crap at one time. Person expects to pay you nothing for tracing & analyzing because you didn't nail anything up, add anything or remove anything. I try not to charge for looking at a simple problem & quoting a fix, but I should charge something for my trip regardless. $25 would cover my gas & a few minutes of time, maybe $50 for next towns over. I can't keep coming home with nothing & not get the job either because they can't afford it, or they figure out from watching me how they can do it themselves. I've seen variations of that.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
That seems a little extreme. If you charged me 6 hours to label a panel, that'd be the last job you ever did for me.

What's a service change take based on your scale, 24 hrs?

I've seen panels where 6 hours would barely allow tracing half the ckts. Was asked to quote some fixes and labeling in a horse barn with an old 200A panel about the middle. Nearly every ckt came out the top, in several bundles of cloth type NM, up near ceiling & webbing out in all directions. Bundles had been painted over many times. Many hit a j box & webbed out again. Few boxes had less than 4 cables in & out. Dozens of lights inside, a good number outside, on walls, poles, etc. Various types of heaters, pumps, etc. in hidden nooks & crannies. Some still in use, some abandoned, still with live feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.