Hospital Canopy Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Will hospital canopy lighting (outside Emergency Department) should fed from Critical Branch or Life-Safety Branch circuit?

I put on Critical branch circuit, contractor wonder if we can put on Life-Safety circuit can save some cost b/c the life-safety panel is closer. 517 doesn't say anything about this, I guess!

Thanks!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If the building designer or AHJ says these fixtures are neccessary for egress from the building they can be on the Life Safety Branch.

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The code definately says what is allowed (and not allowed) to be on the LS panel.

If the building designer or AHJ says these fixtures are neccessary for egress from the building they can be on the Life Safety Branch.

Roger

Roger: I agree for a small canopy with one or two lights. Those one or two might be necessary for egress.

But I think if i tried to claim several lights in the same canopy were necessary for egress, the AHJ probably veto me.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger: I agree for a small canopy with one or two lights. Those one or two might be necessary for egress.

But I think if i tried to claim several lights in the same canopy were necessary for egress, the AHJ probably veto me.
And I agree but, the others would not have to be on the Critical Branch they can be fed from the Normal source.

Roger

anbm

I thought any lights outside the building can't put on life-safety circuit except at generator location? We can put on normal power but critical will be better choice because it lead to emergency department?

Status
Not open for further replies.