Vector group pf a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcwilson

I think a Ynyn0 +D1 is a wye-wye transformer with a delta tertiary winding.

Both the high voltage and low voltage wye windings have neutral terminals. I believe the neutrals are tied together as inidcated by the lower case n's. The D1 tertiary winding may not supply any load. It may be there to provide for circulating zero sequence and 3rd harmonic currents.

A Dyn1 transformer is the more common delta primary, wye secondary transformer with a neutral on the secondary.

At higher voltages, it is cheaper to make a wye winding since the insulation can be graded from the high voltage end to the neutral end. The neutral end is at or near ground potential so not as much insulation is needed. On a delta HV winding, the complete winding needs the full high voltage insulation.

The delta tertiary winding on a Ynyn0 +D1 can be small if its only purpose is to provide a path for zero sequence currents. But it could be used to supply small loads. For example, one substation had a 45 MVA, 245 kV-69 kV, Y-Y transformer with a 13.8 kV delta tertiary. The tertiary fed a 150 kVA, 13.8 kV- 120/208 V transformer for station service power.

The Ynyn0 design might also be required to match the existing phase angles of the two systems. A Dyn1 introduces a phase shift between the two windings.

AdrianWint

I would also agree with the poster above - its a Wye/Wye transformer with a delta tertiary.

Although I'm not sure that it can be inferred from that description that the primary & secondary star points are joined - I don't think they have to be for that description to be valid.

A Dyn1 transformer would have a 30 degree phase shift between primary & secondary, the Ynyn0 would have no phase shift between the input & output.

The delta tertiary can also be used to provide balancing ampere turns when it is not possible to provide a system neutral on the primary side - if the neutral cannot be provided then the secondary will not be able to supply an unbalanced load, this can be resolved by using a delta tertiary winding.

Adrian

rcwilson

Good point about unbalanced loads without a neutral, Adrian.

The OP said the transformer was Ynyn0 +D1. If the HV & LV neutrals were separate, the designation would be YNyn0+D1. The upper case N would indicate a HV neutral. Lower case letters indicate LV windings. With both "n" I assumed they are tied together.

Or maybe my understanding of the IEC vector group notation is in error. It could also be a typo.

templdl

Is it a 4 or 5 legged transformer?
Often times a Y-Y built on a 3 legged core will have a tertiarty winding to address the circulating currents that are present in the 3 legged core which are not present in a 4 or 5 legged core.

Status
Not open for further replies.