six throws of the hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjdad82

my boss seems to think that the code says that one cannot use single pole circuit breakers in a meter panel for a single family dwelling. As i read it in 230.71(b) you can although it will be counted as one of the six disconnecting means, or one operation of the hand however you say it. Am i reading this correctly?

dana1028

IMO - I agree with you - the code does not specify the type of breaker [e.g. single pole vs. 2-pole] to meet the 6 disconnect rule.

However, when encountering equipment 'suitable for service equipment' that does not have a main, I have sometimes seen mfr's specification prohibiting line-to-neutral loads [single pole breakers - I have such a panel at my house].

bphgravity

Single-pole units are only permitted by this section when grouped in two's or three's & used on multiwire circuits & are equipped with handle ties. A single, single-pole unit that disconnects only ONE service conductor would not qualify as a service disconnecting means under the provisions of THIS section...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Single-pole units are only permitted by this section when grouped in two's or three's & used on multiwire circuits & are equipped with handle ties. A single, single-pole unit that disconnects only ONE service conductor would not qualify as a service disconnecting means under the provisions of THIS section...

Bryan, I don't read that as not allowing single poles but rather as allowing single pole breakers to count as one disconnect if they have handle ties.

Buck Parrish

my boss seems to think that the code says that one cannot use single pole circuit breakers in a meter panel for a single family dwelling. As i read it in 230.71(b) you can although it will be counted as one of the six disconnecting means, or one operation of the hand however you say it. Am i reading this correctly?

Thier was a change in 08 408.36(b)exception allows it

Status
Not open for further replies.