Code or Reg for Residential Lighted Address Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoleilLaNuit

I am looking for the regulation or code that relates to residential lighted address numbers. Several municipalities have adopted this, and I need reference to the original. I thought it was the NFPA but I am not finding it...am I wrong?

Thanks in advance. A point in the right direction is much appreciated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe you will find a code listing for lighted address numbers. Depending on the type of light there may be code sections for them. I suspect these are LED lights so if they are listed fixtures then wire as the manufacturer requires.

jumper

This was all I could find:

2009 IFC

SECTION 505 PREMISES IDENTIFICATION

505.1 Address identification. New and existing buildings shall have approved address numbers, building numbers or approved building identification placed in a position that is plainly legible and visible from the street or road fronting the property. These numbers shall contrast with their background. Address numbers shall be Arabic numbers or alphabetical letters. Numbers shall be a minimum of 4 inches (101.6mm) high with a minimum stroke width of 0.5 inch (12.7 mm). Where access is by means of a private road and the building cannot be viewed from the public way, a monument, pole or other sign or means shall be used to identify the structure.

bphgravity

From the 2009 IRC:

SECTION R319 SITE ADDRESS

R319.1 Address numbers. Buildings shall have approved address numbers, building numbers or approved building identification placed in a position that is plainly legible and visible from the street or road fronting the property. These numbers shall contrast with their background. Address numbers shall be Arabic numbers or alphabetical letters. Numbers shall be a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) high with a minimum stroke width of 1/2 inch (12.7 mm). Where access is by means of a private road and the building address cannot be viewed from the public way, a monument, pole or other sign or means shall be used to identify the structure.

Anything in addition to thsi woul be a state / local amendment or possibly a local ordinance...

Electric-Light

Those reflective number labels work pretty well. They're clearly visible in the day.
They're visible to approaching vehicles with lights, which for all practical purposes, should satisfy the requirements

kwired

Electron manager
Sounds pretty un-American to me. :mad:

It is a good idea for emergency services like fire, rescue, police but there are people that don't want to be found out there.

As far as an electrically illuminated device it will either be a luminaire or a sign and you will need to follow which ever code applies for connection. Codes for locating the number are not part of electrical codes.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree, I was commenting on the part about it being mandatory. :)

I find it no different than any other code or neighborhood association rules. If you don't like these kind of rules you can always move someplace where there are no rules. You will probably find someone there trying to enforce something.

Many of us don't like all the rules that we need to follow but the majority of people realize there is a need for some rules otherwise we would constantly step on each others toes. Nothing wrong with contesting a rule and trying to make it better in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.