POCO Workmanship Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sii

Large metal building, mostly storage with a welding shop in one end. 208/120 3 phase 400A, fed by three transformers mounted on a "shelf" between two poles. This installation is, assuminhg it's original, 50-60 years olds.

We had a windstorm here last week and the wires which are not triplex but individual conductors each tied to it's own insulator, got tangled and blew the HV fuses. These wires have been bare for the fifteen years I've worked here. I've tried several times to get the POCO to replace them to no avail. Their solution to this outage was to splice the two conductors that were obviously damaged and to put a wooden pole-type ground wire cover across all four lines, ATTACHED TO THE LINES WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE.

I called the engineer, assumng this was a temporary fix and was told that the lineman's report stated that no further action was required. What can I do to make them address this issue further?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I've never had a problem with the POCO's I deal with on replacing bad lines, the one to my house was the same way, and I called them about it, and they sent two trucks and a van out to fix it, but ended up borrowing my extension ladder to get to the weatherhead:roll: Is this a small city owned POCO?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Another possibility is that the drop is customer owned, usually it's underground services, but this POCO may also require the customer to furnish the overhead drop as well.

sii

Another possibility is that the drop is customer owned, usually it's underground services, but this POCO may also require the customer to furnish the overhead drop as well.

No, I've got them to admit that it's their line and even that it's in bad shape. I even had the guy out two years ago and nothing. They said at the time that it wasn't causing a problem so they saw no need to repair it.

I told the engineer that now it has indeed caused a problem and they still won't replace it. The problem is that it's very hard to access. In all honesty, it's not the only problem they won't address, I also have a transformer pad sinking into the ground that they don't seem to care about.

BJ Conner

They have a standard

They have a standard

Most utilities have standards, that books with drawings, material list etc. for each type installation. I have seen ones similar to the one you talking about. If there done right there OK and will last a long time. If they don't have a standard then each crew they have will do it different -some good some half bad.
Ask to see the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.