Leaving ladders in the elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I leave my ladders on top of my van. Well some parts are getting rusty and the ladders are faded. I'm kinda scared these ladders aren't safe. What do you do with your ladders? And if your ladders are like mine do you still use them, or get some new ones? Thank you.

wawireguy

I'd inspect them for damage, thin, worn, spots. Check the rusted pieces. Do they seem compromised? Maybe start hitting the rust with some WD-40. I'd use them as long as they don't show any signs of damage.

cadpoint

WD is a water displacement agent, what does it do for your ladders? Does it provide a wipe of aluminum discharge of the foriegn agents on the ladder?

The Sun and Weather (and what's in the weather) are your enemy, WD to me is not the proof here...

btharmy

I got "attacked" by a ladder that had been outside for ?? years on the top of another workers van. It had never been treated/sealed. Before I knew it my forearms were FULL of invisible fiberglass splinters. The ladder was so dried out the fiberglass was coming apart.

renosteinke

Oddly enough, even aluminum ladders can have have some steel parts. The braces that hold open step ladders are one common place, aas are the feet of extension ladders.

I've never really had any issue, even in the harsh, unfiltered, high-altitude Nevada sun. Oh, I've seen plenty of faded ladders; it seems that the 'ugly' paint job I apply to identify my ladders also keeps the sun off the resins within.

The Werner flyer has me a little confused; I seem to recall the literature for at least one of my ladders claiming that the fiberglass part was encased in a thin PVC film for sunlight protection. Then again, most of my ladders are not made by Werner; Louisville and Green Bull predominate.

When it comes to fiberglass ladders, the fibers are the strength. Once they start shedding glass, it's time for replacement. They're no longer structurally reliable.

Keep in mind that shedding fibers can also be a sign that the ladder has been subjected to stress beyond its' limits. If that's the case, failure may be sudden and unexpected.

Buck Parrish

I paint the ladders with a brush on thick coat of polyurethane. But thats just because I'm a big fan of polyurethane. I keep a spray can on the truck to spray the ends of kindorf when cut.
I even spray the kids bycicles with it chain and all :) Sure keeps them shiny no rust either.

Status
Not open for further replies.