Tamper resistant receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAHTAH

I am not where I can get my hands on a current code book. Visiting my in-laws who just had a bathroom remodel. The electrician installed a GFCI that is tamper proof. Is this a current requirement? If so whats the point when you cannot plug any two wire devices (which most residential cords are) into the receptacle. Going out to buy a non-tamper proof GFCI today.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is required to be tamper proof but you should be able to plug a 2 wire device in it. I use Pass and Seymour device and had not much trouble with them but I have heard that other brands have been a little touchy sometimes.

BAHTAH

recept

recept

It is required to be tamper proof but you should be able to plug a 2 wire device in it. I use Pass and Seymour device and had not much trouble with them but I have heard that other brands have been a little touchy sometimes.

Thanks Dennis. I just tried it again and no go on a trwo wire. I will check out the P&S when I go to the store.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree. I doubt that the tamper resistant receptacle that the OPer is using would not accept a 2 wire polarized plug.

Chris

Ditto that and ditto on the proper term tamper resistant receptacle. Sorry Dennis. :)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Have you tried a three prong plug, and it will go in???

That would be odd, because the P&S TP receptacles I've seen don't have anything different about the ground prong.

I'd call the electrician back and have him fix it. He should of given the receptacle a quick test after he installed it.

Steve

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I use Leviton devices and have not had any issues. I agree with the others that the ground pin has no effect on the tamper resistant shutters.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I use Leviton devices and have not had any issues. I agree with the others that the ground pin has no effect on the tamper resistant shutters.

If you think about it, how could it? A lot of the things that we plug in in a dwelling are only two prong plugs.

ncwirenut

Some of the tamper resistant receptacles in the 90's actually opened by the ground "door" having a beveled edge. I used them in a day care center and they changed them after the inspector gave them their CO. I haven't seen any of the newer receptacles operate that way. We had a batch that we returned that didn't work very well, but I can't remember the brand.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When you try to use the cheap junk plugs that are common on most residential appliances, with the residential grade (cheap junk) receptacles, you will often find that you cannot mate the two items without a lot of force.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When you try to use the cheap junk plugs that are common on most residential appliances, with the residential grade (cheap junk) receptacles, you will often find that you cannot mate the two items without a lot of force.

I can't remember ever having to replace a cheap junk receptacles in any of the houses I have wired. Some of those homes are over 30 years. I still maintain many of them. A dimmer or two perhaps but not recep.

wireman3736

I use p&s, they work great, the only time i've had a problem is if one blade is slightly longer then the other, I have two ideal plug in testers, one works slick the other i have problems with, I noticed the difference in the blades on the one that gives me problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.