Help fixing a mess - water well pump wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hired an electrician to install an electrical connection to a water well that will be drilled in the next two weeks. Unfortunately I now understand what I got was a non-code compliant, potentially unsafe installation. I am looking for advice on the best way to correct what I have now so that it is safe and to code. The diagram shows the current installation.

WellPumpWiring.jpg

The wire used is 2-2-4 USE-2 XLP Aluminum. The last 70 feet of the run to the service entrance is through my attic. The balance is underground in a still open trench.

The problems I know of are; the wire should have been four conductor instead of three. The ground should not be connected to neutral at the remote box. The attic run should have been in conduit. The wire may not be suitable for indoor use at all even in conduit?

My possible options seem to be:

1. Rip it all out and replace the entire run with #6 3-wire with ground UF-B copper ($$$)

2. Add single #2 AL wire or single #6 Copper for entire run, add conduit in attic. Switch present neutral wire to ground. Use the new wire for the neutral connection. Problem with this is it is hard to find single conductor direct burial wire. Maybe buy more 3 wire - strip it apart and put in splices??

3. Rip it all out and replace the entire run with 2-2-2-4 USE-2 XLP Aluminum. Add conduit in attic. Won't work if this wire can't be used in indoors.

4. Add #8 or #6 bare copper wire for ground connection. Add conduit in attic.

5. Add box where the run enters the attic on the well pump side and switch to suitable indoor wire as necessary. Run a fourth wire to the remote box for the added ground.

6. Combinations of the above?

Obviously I don't want to spend any more money/time than necessary but I also want a safe and compliant installation.

All comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 3 wires to the well house which terminates in a panel did not need 4 conductors until 2008 NEC code, however the wiring in the attic must be repaired as it may not even be allowed even if it was in conduit. I would work with your electrician and see what he says.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It is not as straight forward as you seem to think. Much depends on the code cycle that is in effect in your area. Since this well is remote from the main building, it comes under a separate set of rules. It is possible that a three wire feeder is enough, and that the ground and neutral could be tied at the sub panel. Also, #2 AL wire is good for 75 amps, so I don?t know why you think you need #3. Finally, I can?t tell what is going on at the sub panel, since you didn?t distinguish what wires are connected and what ones are not. That is, I don?t know if I am looking at phase to phase loads or multi-wire branch circuits. Plus, given that this well will be a separate structure, it needs a local disconnecting means for all power (e.g., a main breaker on the sub panel).

However, before this conversation goes any further, I need to know whether you plan to bring back the electrician (or hire a different one) to do the installation work. We are not permitted (by forum rules) to help a person who is not an electrician and who intends to perform their own installation.

This electrician won't be coming back. Before I hire another electrician I want to understand exactly what changes are needed so I get it fixed right and can make sure I'm not getting an unsafe or uncompliant job like I did the first time. I'm obviously not knowledgeable with the code requirements myself so I'm here to learn.

I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere - there are no inspectors - but I'd like the job done as if there were.

In the diagram there are no connections at crossovers of lines, only if the lines tee is there a connection.

I've been told 4 wires were required even prior to 2008 because it is water well.

Is USE-2 XLP forbidden in an attic, even in conduit? I've gotten conflicting answers on that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.