Control disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

I want to control a bunch of fans that are spread out with one switch. A 120V switch will be wired to open/close relays in each fan control circuit. The relays are located at the respective fan. Do I need a disconnect switch on the 120V control circuit at each fan.

olc

430.75 referds to the motor control circuit. My circuit would control the motor control circuit.
I could bring the motor control circuit out of the fan controller and put the relay somewhere else. In this case it is similar to a lighting control occupancy sensor - the power pack is typically not within sight of a disconnect.
Or a typical 24V thermostat - the 24V does not have a disconnect with-in sight of the thermostat.
(I am thinking outloud here)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It's a good question.
Is a control circuit on a motor control circuit also a motor control circuit ? :grin:

I may have foolishly been using logic ....
To me, the reason for requiring a disconnect for the (separate) control circuit for a motor controller is to be able to turn of ALL power when working with in the controller. It would seem you would pose the same problem with your detached relay. If the enclosure contains voltage from your motor circuit and from your control circuit and the relay "controls" the motor, I would tend to require a disconnect based on Art 430. I'm sure some one say that's a "stretch", so it may end up being an AHJ issue.

my posts as all others are an "opinion"

pfalcon

Passing through quickly so I'm not listing citations to code:

Distributed lighting is now required to have local disconnects in many locations, starting will Wal-Mart type locations. A special disconnect "plug" serves this purpose.

Motors are rarely permitted to be without a disconnect. Fan motors would be no exception. It doesn't matter whether you control the control circuit or the power circuit. You must disconnect ALL power and control from the motor locally. (yes some exceptions apply but they are exceptions).

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How big are these fans? If the fan is 1/8 HP or less can't the OCPD serve as the disconnecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.