Plastic NM straps w/attached nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Has anyone used the plastic NM straps by GB that are sold in the bid box stores? I've seen them out a few years but haven't used any. I thought about them from the recent thread about NM staple guns. The thin nail looks easier to drive than a standard NM staple, in hard wood.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They can be useful in old, hard wood. As Dennis said they're expensive relative to the cheap staples we've been using for decades. Recently we did a renovation in an old house and about 50% of the staples would bend when hammered in. In some places the only way to get the staple in was to drill two pilot holes with a small bit. :roll:

GUNNING

I got a couple of bottles a while back when the store was discounting them out. I like em. Not any good for production work, but great for service work. (to expensive & too labor intensive)

jmellc

Occupation
They can be useful in old, hard wood. As Dennis said they're expensive relative to the cheap staples we've been using for decades. Recently we did a renovation in an old house and about 50% of the staples would bend when hammered in. In some places the only way to get the staple in was to drill two pilot holes with a small bit. :roll:

That was my thinking. I've had lots of trouble lately with standard staples in old seasoned wood. They bend, don't start well, take 10 taps or so to start, then still may fall out when hit hard.

My stiff aching hands can't do much in a tight space with a staple gun. I'll get a box of these GB's and try them out.

jmellc

Occupation
I tried a few of these yesterday and find that I like them. I won't use them all the time, but will keep a few handy. I wasn't in a seasoned lumber situation, but I think they will do OK there too.

I've seen these for several years & thought they looked too much like Harry Homeowner stuff. But, I sometimes learn something.

iaov

I've used the plastic straps for a long time now. I have a plastic staple gun also but its uses are limited by space. With plastic I know I'm not going to short anything out and the difference in price is minimal.

jmellc

Occupation
A friend told me the other day he found a staple gun with trigger that's finger pulled, instead of the usual where you push trigger with palm. I've always found those awkward & now with my hands in bad shape, they are hard to use. I want to try my friend's. He likes it a lot. Hand keeps steady pressure on the stapler & pulling trigger is more natural. If I like his, I may buy one. I have an electric gun that I love, but won't get into dragging a drop cord under the house.

But I will for sure keep some of these GB straps handy now. The small nails can drive 1 at a time if needed & together if in soft lumber. I like too, that it can't be over driven into the wire. I've seen that done a lot over the years, was guilty of it myself my 1st few months in the trade. 1 of the first things I learned, when having to repair staple breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.