article 310.4A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article 310.4A

Morning, I recently received a violation based on the above mentioned article, it turns out the inspector was wrong and issued it incorrectly however he could not fully explain exactly what this article actually refers to. Could anyone she a little light on this and in what situations it pertains to?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What specifically do you want to know? Basically it tells how wires can be used in parallel. What was the situation that the inspector thought was wrong.

I was using a troft to carry 2 sets of 350 MCM from a CT cabinet to the disconnect switch, I know this was not wrong and the chief inspector backed it up, however as its written in the code book it gives no examples of where this would actually be a violation. When is it NOT ok to have to sets of conductors running together in the same troft or conduit as covered by this article?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Basically the article tells you what the rules are for parallel runs. So if you follow those rules generally you should be okay. Now there could be other code sections to comply with such as service conductors cannot be in a raceway with non service conductors. 230.7. So a parallel run of service conductors in a trough or raceway with non service conductors would not be allowed.

I cannot think of many situations where it is not allowed. If you parallel conductors in more than one conduit then you must have all phases and neutrals in each conduit. There is an exception to this. 300.2(B)(1) exception

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was using a troft to carry 2 sets of 350 MCM from a CT cabinet to the disconnect switch, I know this was not wrong and the chief inspector backed it up, however as its written in the code book it gives no examples of where this would actually be a violation. When is it NOT ok to have to sets of conductors running together in the same troft or conduit as covered by this article?

Conduit and wireways are two different things in this example because the conduit would require derating of the parallel conductors, the trough would not if you had 30 or less CCC's at any cross section. Is 310.4(A) the violation that was cited?

Status
Not open for further replies.