Is meter required for main switchboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Does code require main switchboard to have meter? (like Square-D PM800 or CM3000 meters). Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as far as I know the NEC never requires a meter.
Those pesky little things are POCOs concern.
Think of a large commercial or indutrial concern that buys power at the 12kv or larger point. There would be need for any of there switchbaords to have meters unless the customer desired.

broadgage

Do you mean a KWH meter for billing purposes ? if so, then it must be somewhere, but this is normally arranged by the utility and does not have to be built into the switchboard.

Or did you mean amp and voltmeters ?, if so these can be very useful for monitoring and fault finding, and IMHO it would be good design to include them, but I am not aware of any legal or code requirement for such meters.

stevebea

Does code require main switchboard to have meter? (like Square-D PM800 or CM3000 meters). Thanks!

No, not required by the NEC. I just recently installed 12 of the PowerLogic CM 4250 in a facility. The display will give you real time current,voltage,apparent power,reactive power, power factor,frequency and total harmonic distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.