Switches for Stairway Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
Art. 210.70(A)(2)(c) requires a light switch at each floor level for lighting outlets installed for interior stairways in dwelling units. The explanatory note in the hdbk mentions hotels, motels, and so on. In industrial or administative builidngs, does the NEC also require a light switch at each floor level in stairways or is it silent for these locations? My safety office wants to remove installed light switches for stairway lighting in an office building. What code may address this if the NEC doesn't?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The NEC does not have a similar requirement for office buildings. But I would ask the safety office why they think it would be more safe to remove the extra switches. :confused:

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
I believe that's correct. I have no problem if they want to change it because of a preference or because of some other code requirement, but I don't imply it's an NEC violation if the NEC doesn't have such a requirement. Thanks for the feedback.

jwnelson1

I would also look into your state building codes, altough the NEC may not mention it. The state code might give have requirements on it. They can't lessen the requirements but they can make them more restrictive.

hurk27

Ask if motion detectors could be used in place? we do this in some places where owner doesn't want lights always on when building is occupied, but the fire marshal does, this makes both happy.

Ragin Cajun

Lutron has a stairway system that uses occupancy sensors to go from occupied level top a much lower unoccupied level. I am using them in a town hall that's under design. Significant savings.

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.